1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Some of my stacks

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by schlot, Mar 23, 2013.

1. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    I missed out on a great scrounge today. A big hard maple someone a few blocks from me brought down, but someone already talked to the owner about it. So I did some splitting and stacking to ease the pain.

wood2.jpg

Finished out some ash and elm for next year

wood1.jpg

Some aspen and boxelder for this coming year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Nothing like a hard day of splitting and stacking to ease the pain. More will come, it always does. Looks great.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Nice wood pile Schlot by the way I want my pallets back [​IMG]

Pete
    ScotO, schlot and PapaDave like this.
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, that should have made you feel better. Fresh stacks always make me feel better;)
    ScotO likes this.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Looking good... Love a good straight stack :)
    ScotO likes this.
  6. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks...nothing compared to alot of you guys but I guess I will keep slugging away at it.
    ScotO, Pallet Pete and tfdchief like this.
  7. CHeath

CHeath Member

Loc:
    Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
    Nice!!
  8. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton Member

Loc:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    The stacks look great. My wife & I moved some large rounds into the splitting area today and I am sore.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Now if we can just get you to throw those t-posts away.... ;)
  10. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Looking good. That area will look even better when you cover the pallets in rows..!!
    schlot likes this.
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice stacks.
    Good separation for air.

It adds up, just keep slugging.
    I missed on some stuff close to home a few times, only hurts until you find another score :)
    ScotO and Hills Hoard like this.
  12. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks....first attempt at using pallets and t-posts. By the way they aren't touching the old elm behind it.Not sure I'm talented enough to stack without t-posts though.

The other stacks are at my house like the one shown so I built wood racks to keep the neighbor ladies happy. LOL.
  13. FireBones

FireBones Member

Loc:
    Norfolk County Ontario
    The stacks look awesome! I sure hope my turn out nice and tidy like that! Practice makes perfect I suppose. I am still in debates wether I'll buy some T posts or just do it like Denis does cribbing the ends? I have a feeling he has a lot of practice under his belt haha ;)
  14. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I just half-arse cribbed this one; I think I might get away with it. ==c Could have left less space before putting in the next set of cross-splits to give more stability...

[​IMG]
    Blue2ndaries, schlot and ScotO like this.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Cribbing the ends is easy with the right splits. When I'm splitting wood, I try to make a bunch of "square" splits out of the nicer rounds. I pitch all of these similar and symmetrical splits in one pile. I then use those splits to cross-tie or "crib" the ends of the stacks.

67530-71c1b6398c7fe2d68b0d07504b5d5b6c.jpg 67531-6521339cc113eb85cc0c4f566ea9bca0.jpg

I also put cribbing in the stacks around every 8 lineal feet to add some rigidity to the stacks. That way, as you are using the stack theouout the heating season, the whole thing doesn't come crashing down on you....;)

Nice looking stacks, guys. Schlot, it sucks that you lost that scrounge but as the others have already mentioned, there'll be more...
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I have had a bit of practice. I recall, not so fondly of when I learned how to do this. My father was a believer of a swift kick in the seat of the pants taught young kids quite well. So, being as how I never liked those swift kicks, I took my time even as a little boy...::-)
    tfdchief and ScotO like this.
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I just dont care enough to take the time lol. I have green T-posts and unabashidly use them it makes life much easier when the clock is ticking away. I love splitting and even stacking but I have this little lazy streak in me with certain things.

Pete
  18. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info on cribbing. If I try to use that method on the rest of the pallets in that picture and they fall over, you guys will come fix it right? LOL.
  19. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    No.:cool:
  20. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Nice stacks!