Some questions on my old Kodiak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coal2wood

Feb 17, 2014
Lititz, PA
Hey everyone, I am new here. Just bought an old Kodiak wood/coal stove from CL this fall. We bought a larger house, 2300 SF, with the dreaded heat pump system. I lined the chimney with a 6inch liner and put an 8-6 reducer on my stove. It burns wood great and throws a lot of heat. We are having no problem keeping warm even when the temps get to the single digits.
My questions are as follows:
Has anyone got any info on my stove? It's pictured in my avatar.
It seems to burn out in about 5 hours with a full load of wood. Is there some way to increase the burn time?
Should I consider a newer stove? Looked at a Jotul 8, and a couple Quadra-fires online. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Don't know if that one originally had door gasket or not but you can usually add some that can help with the burn time. Also what type of wood are you using what is your burning procedure ect. Post a larger pic also cant see much in the little avatar pic

I'm going to move this thread over to the classic stove room.

How about some close ups and maybe some with doors open. Does it burn on a grate and drop in an ash pan?? Is that a shaker handle at the bottom right?? If it's wood / coal it is primarily a coal stove. You "can" burn wood in a coal stove, but not efficiently. It will get far too much air, and not build a bed of coals. Try Chestnut Anthracite.
Coal requires air to come up through the fire bed. The primary air comes from the bottom, and you only crack the top air inlets for oxygen to get to the top of fire to allow the gas escaping from coal to burn blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.