Some work to do in the next few weeks before the Spring rains start.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
While at parents acreage Friday morning I took a walk around to check out some things.Was still snowing very lightly,ended up with just under 3",was mostly gone by late afternoon.If weather & my schedule cooperates in the next 2-3 weeks there's a bit more cleanup I need to finish from last Fall.First 2 pics are Red Oak near west property line,approx. 18" diameter & 60 ft tall partly dead that had fallen over during Tuesday night's heavy wind & rain storm.(I know this because the same tree was still standing 10 days earlier on my last visit.) Next 2 pics are large dead Red Oak snag near NE corner of property - roughly 24" diameter at stump & 70ft tall,its at bottom of steep hill (almost no flat ground on that 10 acres unfortunately).I'll have to drop it,buck it in 10' sections & use cables & log chain to pull it uphill on the flat ridge.Last pic is standing White Oak snag about 14" diameter & 50' tall - about 100ft straight south of that large Red Oak on eastern property line,its on a flat ridge so its better than the steep hillsides I normally deal with.Takes me a while since I do about 95% of this myself now,Dad's too old to be doing anything strenuous.Told brother he can have 1/2 of what I cut,if he helps me for a day or so.So that's on the agenda for now.I hope it either dries up a bit more or we get another hard freeze,that will really help. I dont do anything in the woods from May to September except for Morel Mushroom hunting early & cleaning up summer storm damage if needed.

Attachments

• newly fallen redoak.jpg
    newly fallen redoak.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 236
  • redoak2.jpg
    redoak2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 255
  • large old red oak snag at NE corner of property.jpg
    large old red oak snag at NE corner of property.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 228
  • top of redoak snag.jpg
    top of redoak snag.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 235
  • white oak snag at east property line.jpg
    white oak snag at east property line.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 236
You are a lucky man Thistle. That should make you some very good firewood.

Looks like you have some nice trees to buck up that should keep you busy for sometime.

Zap

That should keep the bbq! Now you need some for heat...lol

lol there must be 30+ cords easily either standing or deadfall on the place,bad thing is at least 1/2 (south part especially has such steep hills) that its only accessible by foot.You have to cross a 10 ft wide creek that's 3 ft deep,then go up 2 more hills to get to south fence line.1 big draw is almost in center of property,with steep hills & rutted narrow gravel driveway next to the little house.Any small tractor even an old 9N Ford with wide front would tip over.I tried getting some with their old narrow-front H Farmall about 20 yrs ago,almost rolled it.That was enough for me. :bug:

Looks like a good Warn winch is in order.I might be able to park in neighbor's feedlot along south fence (Its accessible from the gravel road) to get some next year.

You got your work "cut out" for you.
Lot of BTUs there, very nice to have for sure.
Have fun.

bogydave said:
Have fun.

Thanks. Its certainly not as 'fun' as when I was 20 or so,but I still enjoy it lol.I dont try to do everything in 1 day,take breaks more often etc.

Just need to win LOTTO so I buy some needed gear such as a small skidsteer with rubber tracks,other things to make it less tiring.

Thistle said:
bogydave said:
Have fun.

Thanks. Its certainly not as 'fun' as when I was 20 or so,but I still enjoy it lol.I dont try to do everything in 1 day,take breaks more often etc.

Just need to win LOTTO so I buy some needed gear such as a small skidsteer with rubber tracks,other things to make it less tiring.

Every little bit that is c/s/s adds up. I do mine a little at a time. Before you know it, quite a few cords stacked up.
I didn't get any thru the winter, so I'm looking to just work on it slow & steady. I got time since it will be for 013/014 winter.
I agree, it is not "As Fun" but it is still "As Rewarding". Good way to stay active too. Ibuprofen is my friend :)

bogydave said:
Thistle said:
bogydave said:
Have fun.

Every little bit that is c/s/s adds up. I do mine a little at a time. Before you know it, quite a few cords stacked up.
I didn't get any thru the winter, so I'm looking to just work on it slow & steady. I got time since it will be for 013/014 winter.
I agree, it is not "As Fun" but it is still "As Rewarding". Good way to stay active too. Ibuprofen is my friend :)

That's true.I havent cut anything for fuel since mid January,good thing the shed there (where I store any extra) is about 90% full,and my backyard here in town is almost.Just want to get ahead on the cleanup,and have 3-4 yrs worth c/s/s for the future.My regular construction gig is kinda slow right now,it really tires me out time weekend arrives.This helps keep me in decent shape for that though.I know about Ibuprofen,sometimes I take 2 Naproxen a couple times a week,very rarely need it more often thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.