SOMEBODY STOP ME!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I have an old Timberline. Same model as in the gallery, pg.9 @ the bottom. A friend of mine put the bug in my ear, and now I'm obsessing about this idea. I'm thinking of cutting out sections of the cast doors, primarily the upper mountain castings, removing some material inside the cut-outs for glass inserts, and tapping in some clips to keep the glass in place. The areas will be fairly small, no true benefit except I'll get to see the secondaries lighting off before the glass gets too dirty. Talk me out of this! Tell me that the castings will probably crack, or something. Anything. I warn you, I'm stoopid, and I'll do it! Would be cool to see the fire dancing through the glass in a mountain pattern though. Help.

Do it I dare you

Note: I assume no liability for anything that goes wrong as a result of this or any other activities I dare people to do

I've been double dog daring myself all week about this, I Don't need any encouragement. Quite the opposite! Especially since the heater is on a strict diet of....Pine. I know, I know, but I'm already bald, short, fat, and have enough hair on my back, that when I wear a white T-shirt outside, I get remarks about my "big dragon tattoo".

And just what "secondaries" would a Timberline have? Even the ones with glass in the doors I have seen burn over the years didn't have any. A little blue ripple up at the baffle was all.

But go ahead. Wreck your stove. :coolsmirk:

Post some after pics. %-P

Hi BB. I added the secondaries, cut stuff out, welded stuff back in. 1x2 intakes at back of stove, 2x2 pre-heaters in stove, 1 1/8 tube (4 rows) with 3/32" holes, 1"c-c, 1/2" baffle with brick on top at about a 5 deg. up-angle. Seems to work, and I will post pics. But please tell me I'm just- "wrong in the head", about cutting into these doors. That's all I ask

Don't do it! By the time the stove comes up to temp the glass will be black. Keep it the way it is and monitor your stove top and flue temps.

Beetle-Kill said:
Hi BB. I added the secondaries, cut stuff out, welded stuff back in. 1x2 intakes at back of stove, 2x2 pre-heaters in stove, 1 1/8 tube (4 rows) with 3/32" holes, 1"c-c, 1/2" baffle with brick on top at about a 5 deg. up-angle. Seems to work, and I will post pics. But please tell me I'm just- "wrong in the head", about cutting into these doors. That's all I ask

You've done all that, so why not go ahead and cut up the doors...worst thing is you wreck them and have to build new - full view glass - doors, and add an air wash system.

Ok, I'll tell you your wrong in the head but only because thats what you want to hear.

Heck, if you've done that much work add the air wash and make a full viewing glass that's what will eventually happen anyway. Then when your done I've got a regency to sell you ;-P

OK, OK- what I'm reading is- no one knows if my doors may form cracks. Here's the kicker, I can do the cut-outs and recess mods. in a weekend, and the glass shop can have the inserts made for me in a few days. BUT, does anyone think this will work for this winters season? I have no clue where to find replacement doors if this mod. goes "south", and I don't want to build replacement doors- for an "if-or-when" scenario. And to top this off.........now you've got me wondering about an airwash system!! I am Soooo not gonna be able to sleep tonight, how could that be incorporated into an old timberline? All I need is a good reference diagram- I can mess it up from there, trust me.

TODD- Please re-post your first three words of your post to me, about a dozen times or more! I swear there's something in my water.

LLigetfa said:
Post some after pics. %-P

Don't forget the before and during pics either!

THEMAN- that's as good as goading me to do it! LOL Where in the CC are you? I Was S. of Salinas about 18 yrs. ago. Really good oak down around King City/ Jolon area. Even after all these years, still miss Chualar and south to Nacimiento area.

Is This enough?

Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!! Don't Do It!!!!!!!!

learnin to burn- YOU ARE a GODSEND!!!! But to clarify, are you sure I shouldn't do it? Oh......OK....I just read the last line. I'm good now.

Seriously, thanks. I really wanted to see what it would look like, and I may still, but not until next June or July. (After my new BKK is in place)-- I'm changin' my water filters, really thought something was amiss.

L-T-B....Thanks again, not to sound like a "noob" wood-burner( no disrespect to "us"), but the visual slap to the side-o-the-head was what was needed.

I don't know what your waiting for, but if you have kids make sure you have a back-up heat system.
can't wait to see the pics!

How 'bout just drilling a small sight h0le? My smokebeast has one 'built in' at the top of where the 2 doors overlap. It's very small, but flame status is easily monitored through it. You can plug it with high-temp bubblegum if it messes up your burn. :)

I would assume that since you've been doing all that work on your stove that your smart enough not to go to a normal glass shop, but to pick up the appropriate high temp ceramic glass.

Also, I would assume that you have paid attention to what the inside of your doors look like, because this is what the inside of your glass will look like. Clean inside the door, clean glass.

I would also assume that the doors are flat and don't have some funny curves in them?

I would also assume that there's enough material for you to drill into and tap for some screws?

I would also assume that there's a flat enough surface there for the glass and gasket to seal against?

You already have demonstrated your machining skills, if all of this is true, then go for it. The worst thing to happen is that you have to go out and pick up a new stove.

I love you people on this site. So many people willing to take risk and experiment to try new things. This is what makes this country great. I work with a lot of Chinese people. They seem to be afraid to do anything thats out of the box.

So I just had some buddies over, welders and machinists all. Yes, I was the butt of many jokes. Yes, I get to pay them back. But the general consensus was-the doors will probably develop cracks, in the cut design I wanted. Too many sharp points in the pattern to ignore, create too many stress points. So the original doors will remain unmolested,...........and we're gonna build new ones. Thanks to all for the input and "support".

Status
Not open for further replies.