Someone talk me out of the Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new stove. I had pretty well decided on a PE - Spectrum or Spectrum Classic or Super 27 - but my local dealer deals Jotul too and that Castine is a h_ll of a good looking stove. Besides being a couple hunj more, why shouldn't I bring home the Castine?

it boils down to one simple thing , which do you want and how much do you want to spend. none of the stoves mentioned are anything less than top of the line, its going to sit in your house and heat it for a long time regardless of which you pick. i dont have a horse in this race personally as my product want mentioned (its ok , at least you left us out talking about high end units i can live with that ;) ) honestly , there isnt a dog in your "short list" any one you pick you are picking a winner. select based on what you want if rated for the job you wish to give it hard to see you going wrong with anything on that list.

I went to look an a 13-NC today, but the local Englander guy didn't have any in. In fact, he didn't have any wood stoves in at all.

Last fall I replaced a worn out Napoleon with a Pacific Energy Spectrum, and we love it!
It is much more efficient, burns a long time, lights and relights easily, is easy to load (north south), is easy to clean out (we did not install the optional ash dump), has good draft control, and is good to heat a kettle for tea.
We ran it nearly 24/7 for 5 months.
My only small regret is that the Pacific Energy Summit takes 18-20" wood, whereas the Spectrum takes 17-18".

stoveguy2esw said:
it boils down to one simple thing , which do you want and how much do you want to spend. none of the stoves mentioned are anything less than top of the line, its going to sit in your house and heat it for a long time regardless of which you pick. i dont have a horse in this race personally as my product want mentioned (its ok , at least you left us out talking about high end units i can live with that ;) ) honestly , there isnt a dog in your "short list" any one you pick you are picking a winner. select based on what you want if rated for the job you wish to give it hard to see you going wrong with anything on that list.

Mike, it really wasn't fair of you to make a post like that with out atleast a few enablers getting to do their thing ;-)

I think the Castine has a smaller firebox than the PE? Maybe you should consider the next size up the F-500? Those Jotul's are great looking stoves.

Get the steel stove. Well, because it is a steel stove. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Get the steel stove. Well, because it is a steel stove. :lol:

agreed.. we deal with both brands as well, and the castine looks great, but if you are gonna use it for a heater.. go for the PE. easier to load and to clean out. having owned a Jotul in the past (i liked it, Dont get me wrong, here.. we heated the house for a couple yrs w/ a firelight) but heat output and burn is more managable w/ the PE stoves. BUT, If the wife likes the Castine better cause its pretty, go for the Jotul and you won't be sad about your decision..

I like my castine. Cast iron is nice to have in the living room.

Dougstove - I don't need to be talked into the PE. I know how well they work. I need to be talked OUT of the Castine.

Todd - The PE might have more volume but the Castine takes longer pieces. Each is the closest thing to ideal from both manufacturers.

BB - Heh?

Summit - Interesting. I know the PEs are easy operators, and I've heard the same about Jotul and this is the first I've ever heard to the contrary. Also, I live alone and have only myself to please. EDIT - This is what I'm talking about - talk me OUT of the Castine.

If ya like the Castine. Buy the Castine. It ain't an Oslo and neither one of them are a real, steel, stove but what the hell? Ya like it. Buy it. You will love it.

Bigg_Redd said:
Dougstove - I don't need to be talked into the PE. I know how well they work. I need to be talked OUT of the Castine.

Todd - The PE might have more volume but the Castine takes longer pieces. Each is the closest thing to ideal from both manufacturers.

BB - Heh?

Summit - Interesting. I know the PEs are easy operators, and I've heard the same about Jotul and this is the first I've ever heard to the contrary. Also, I live alone and have only myself to please. EDIT - This is what I'm talking about - talk me OUT of the Castine.

heat out put for me was more hi or low w/ the jotul (no mid range) vs a pretty even tack for the PE on the overnight burns..

Bigg_Redd said:

I'll try... The Jotul isn't made in North America, but the PE is. (I was shooting for the made in USA angle, but this is as close as I can get) Does that talk you out of it?

Have you considered the PE Alderlea T-5?

jdinspector said:
Bigg_Redd said:

I'll try... The Jotul isn't made in North America, but the PE is. (I was shooting for the made in USA angle, but this is as close as I can get) Does that talk you out of it?

Id support your local people near you in
146 A Street
Walla Walla, Washington 99362
Phone: 509-522-2730
Contact us

and go steel. You might just be suprised.
N of 60

JDI - Actually, the Castine is cast in Norway with final assembly done in Maine whereas the PE is all Canada. . . so that's sortov a wash

Todd - No. I don't really care about cast iron per se, I just think the Jotul is the most beautiful stove I've ever seen and it happens to be cast iron

Maybe an enamel Spectrum with polished nickel trim?

north of 60 said:
jdinspector said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Id support your local people near you in
146 A Street
Walla Walla, Washington 99362
Phone: 509-522-2730
Contact us

and go steel. You might just be suprised.
N of 60

Just so you know, Walla Walla is about a 5 hour drive from Shelton.

Redd,

As much as we try and make stoves all about the numbers, there is somewhat an element for each person of how the stove looks as it is going to be a part of your home for many years to come. If you are happy with a steel box, go for it but if you really like the Castine, it seems like a good choice.

BTW, have you thought about a Fireview? ;-) :lol: :)

Id say still pretty close that effects local economy. Im pretty sure you know who the manufacture is. %-P
I had to try though Redd. Good luck on your new purchase. Its always fun to try something new.
N of 60

Lots of stove made here. Also in WA are Country, Travis (Lopi, Avalon), and Quadrafire plants. We loved the Castine, especially my wife. It is a beautiful stove, especially in blue-black enamel. But as my remote cousin say, "ya can't eat the view". My wife stopped mooning over it after a season with the T6. I'm glad we have the Alderlea. It delivered well during the cold and snows last winter. Our next door neighbors have the Spectrum and it is a fine stove too. A Quadrafire 3100 or a Cumberland Gap might also be a good choice.

Todd said:
Have you considered the PE Alderlea T-5?

Bingo. Written before I could post the same thing...

"We" have a Castine because The Woman That Let's Me Live With Her looked at the Castine and told the dealer we would take it. In her mind, its the nicest looking piece of furniture in the house. (which, incidently, she is right about) I mumbled stuff about "steel", and "firebox size" and the other uneccessary-to-her specs from the PE brochure and she told me "oh, nevermind, it'll be fine".

Moral of the story: Don't take the wife to the stove store. Tell her the stove company on her list was bought out by GM and they went bankrupt. All the other stoves in the store that were pretty were recalled due to the porcelain falling off. Mention Obama's stove tax credit does not apply to good looking stoves. Then buy what you want.

After a month of sleeping on the couch, she'll appreciate you being there 'cause you can load the stove during the night while she sleeps soundly in her warm bedroom.

You'll be happy because you got the stove you wanted in the first place.

I'll do all of the above next time around.

Disclaimer: I like the Castine. Like all the rest of the inmates here, you always feel you could have done it differently.

Bigg_Redd said:
Maybe an enamel Spectrum with polished nickel trim?

I can't stop looking at this stove on the website.

Your scarin me thats somethin my wife would say, its preaty lets get it. I dont know what i'd do if i bought a stove for looks. lookin at its not gonna make ya warm. everyone tells me i have the ugliest stove there is, but damn it keeps us warm, better then the good lookin ones we've tried. just my point of view, its not alway right, but i could buy a lot of ribs and rum with a few hundy, and have a hellofa BBQ and bonfire or go to some Husker football games, or, or.......

jdscj8 said:
I dont know what i'd do if i bought a stove for looks. lookin at its not gonna make ya warm. everyone tells me i have the ugliest stove there is, but damn it keeps us warm, better then the good lookin ones we've tried. just my point of view. i could buy a lot of ribs and rum with a few hundy, and have a hellofa BBQ and bonfire.

Agreed.

I'm looking at Jotuls, not VCs. I'm pretty sure it's capable of heating my filthy little hovel.

Status
Not open for further replies.