Somerset pellets from last year, anyone finds them a bit 'ashy' ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I haven't tried any other pellet this season except for this brand that i bought in Spring last year at Lowes Southington.

I have Somersets from the last 2 years in my stash. Both years burn about the same for me. Somerset are one of the most consistant brands I have used over the years. However, batches of pellets do vary from batch to batch and year to year.

I'll gladly take em off your hands. I will even come get them and wave the removal fee! :cheese:

Hey geek, How've you been! Sorry I couldn't find any last season. But I haven't seen any complaints on the Somersets this season. Wanna trade? :cheese: hehe! I got some Infernos' we can swap! :cheese: :lol: ;-P

haha.....noooooo

Burnin 'Sets from lowes last spring, appear to be the lowest ash pellet i've tried in awhile, i have about a ton left and being such a warm winter want to "perserve" them for next winter and buy some shoulder's, picked up 5 bag's of fireside's, not bad but not that hot either, bag of pine horse bedding feels hotter, but ash city!!

I had 2 tons left from last year also. The 1st ton that I have burned thru already, did seem alittle more ashy then previous batches. They also left a good bit of carbon biuld-up, in the burn pot also. I am now in the middle of burning the second ton & I am having no issues with them at all, that I had with the 1st ton & I am burning them with the same setting on the stove, as I did with 1st ton. It's weird, but they are still one of my favorite pellet though. I have 40 bags of Somersets left from the 2nd ton & I am also trying to save them for colder days, since it is so warm out. I have been sampling other brands now for about 3 weeks. I also have a 1/2 a ton of Hamer's, which I'm trying not to burn up either. Hoping to keep that 1/2 ton of Hamers & 1/2 of the ton of Somersets, for next year. They are both real hot pellets & seem to burning real good for me.

j-takeman said:
I'll gladly take em off your hands. I will even come get them and wave the removal fee! :cheese:

Hey geek, How've you been! Sorry I couldn't find any last season. But I haven't seen any complaints on the Somersets this season. Wanna trade? :cheese: hehe! I got some Infernos' we can swap! :cheese: :lol: ;-P

Moocher.

I had one ton this year that was more ashy than usual also
however that ton was 2010 stock

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:

Moocher.

And your the opposite?

If that's the case you can send over your stash to geek. Opposite of a mooch is a giver so give it up! :cheese:

the somerset is a very good pellet, what it seems to happen is that some bags are more ashy than others....overall very good pellet and hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.