1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Something I don't understand about Stihl vs Husq....

Post in 'The Gear' started by Sprinter, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Which one is the Chevy and which one is the Ford?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    The better one is the stihl. It's up to you which is better of the chevy/ford. In our part of the world, anything other than Stihl is really a newcomer.
    Bigg_Redd and Senatormofo like this.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Get whatever saw you like and then modify it. That way you can get your Cummins diesel with an Allison transmission on a Ford frame.
    greg13, ScotO, amateur cutter and 2 others like this.
  4. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Says the guy with the guy that has the corvair of saws . :) JK. There are good and bad saws in both line ups . Don't get caught up in the hype of the make. Look for a decent dealer , you'll be better served.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Run what ya brung,mod it for your general type of work.If it still runs like a ***** ape for you after 10,20 yrs & you're happy then keep on going until it dies.
    ScotO, amateur cutter and smokinj like this.
  6. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Does this make Jonsered vs. McCollough
    The Dodge vs. Toyota?
  7. Capt

Capt Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Michigan
    No, because the Jonsered is a Husqavarna
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I always say that to. You darn sure know pretty quick who owns the field, and it comes down to a working saw!;)
    Thistle likes this.
  9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I like Stihl saws for the simple fact that you can't buy them in the box stores. Stihl supports it's dealers pretty well, & I think keeps some mom & pop outfits in business. I'm not against Husky pro saws by any means, each company makes some very high quality equip. Besides that, nobody else has the pretty creamsickle/white/off white/gray/whatever color those cases are on the Stihls.==c A C
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That's a relatively recent decelopment. They were very good saws back in the day as well.
    I always heard there were 3 kinds of saw sold in the PNW. Stihl, Stihl, and uh.... Stihl! >>
  11. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Actually, in western WA there's two kinds of saw 1) Stihl 2) Everything Else
  12. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    Exactly.

When the logging industry was healthy in my area (it still is to a limited degree), Homelite was THE brand to run. Therefore, you see lots of them still around. Go a little father south (50 miles or so) and McCulloch saws were THE saw to run. You get my point.

There used to be a Husky dealer about 6 miles from my place. They have since switched to Sthil due to some dealer network changes, etc. As a result, the pro saw market has changed accodingly over the last 7 or 8 years since the change. Then there are those of us who are buying the older huskys from people replacing them. Every now and then an old Homeheavy comes up for sale. Those of us who like them ( I grew up with them) usually buy them up pretty fast.
    TreePointer likes this.
  13. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Well, what's say we do a little survey, then.

1. Which of the two saws is your fav?

2. Which of the two cars is your fav?

You may participate regardless of what you cut with or what you drive:cool: If you are from the Pacific NW and don't prefer Stihl, you may participate anonymously if you wish, or confess and then duck...
  14. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I'm from the PNW and prefer my Husky saws to my Stihls. I feel they have better balance. The loggers in our area like both but they do say that Husky has less cold weather problems (icing) because of the air injection design.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Nixon, you nailed it to a "T"!
  16. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I always thought the saying was "runs like a ***** date". Not that I'm condoning the latter, but who the hell rapes an ape?

edit: Almost forgot... THREAD HIJACK!!
  17. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    And that's exactly what I did. My needs are more modest than most of you guys. More homeowner, occasional use, a few trees here and there, kind of thing. Although, I must say I do get a bit of "chain saw envy" now and then reading this forum:). I nearly bought a Stihl from a very busy shop about 45 minutes from me, but then I stopped by the Kubota/Husqvarna/etc tractor dealer (I guess they like orange) about 25 minutes from me to look at ZTR mowers. I liked the laid back, good-old-boy atmosphere of the place, which has probably been in business for decades. I ended up with a mower that cost me over 5k, and a Husqvarna 440e saw. They bargained well with me on price, and gave me some extras. I told them I should buy a sharpening jig and file, but they told me they would sharpen the chain and my mower blades for free for life anyway. I've already had them sharpen the chain and did a great job, and straightened a slight bend in the bar, too. I just drop it off when I go to town and pick it up on the way back. I think I could have gotten it or another model from HD or someplace, but I don't think they would have given me a gallon of chain lube, a grease gun and some shots of 2-stroke oil, and I wonder what the customer service clerk at HD would say if I brought my chain in for sharpening ?:eek:

As for the 440e, I got it for the light weight and easy pull, which is getting more important to me every year, it seems:( . It has plenty of power for my needs and and an adequate18" bar. I probably wouldn't get the "e" model again, though, which is mostly the "quick" chain adjust thing. I think I prefer the regular method, but it's okay. It makes it more difficult to re-install the cover, too.

Somewhere along the line, I heard someone say that Stihl and Husqvarna preferences were like Ford and Chevy, so I was just curious if there actually is a correlation between individual preferences here. Sounds more regional than anything so far. The only other saw I've owned was a Stihl 16" model (009, I think?) way back when. I liked it, too. That thing actually cut a lot more wood than it should have been able to. In those days, I did all my own cutting

Oh, and I was a "Chevy guy" as a kid , but that just seems kind of silly now...
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

There have been a couple polls of the forum population and Stihl certainly is the dominant brand here. I've read threads on other boards that have come up dead even and eventually someone in the back stands up and yells "Dolmar!" :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to touch the cars.... ;)
  19. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    "DOLMAR" well now days as modified by the epa and Makita, but still Dolmar. Oh, yes you can get Stihl in the box stores, just not the pro saws as they have 3 levels of saws at this point. All about brand name recognition.
  20. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

What are you wanting here? Sounds like a fist fight.
  21. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Pretty much how I feel . . . to me it doesn't really matter which I get . . . which matters more is the dealer -- the guy who will have the parts you need when (not if) it breaks, the guy who will fix some small thing for free in 5-minutes and the guy who will take the time to listen to what you plan to do and then make a reasonable stab at what saw would work best for your needs without trying to sell the cheapest saw or the most expensive saw.
  22. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I have just about zero use for a dealer. That may have been true in the olden days, or when you had huskys, that broke all the time but I would much rather use an independent shop that can repair all small engines I may have.

Neither brand is superior, I thought the thread was sort of a joke. Same with ford/chevy, both make excellent vehicles.
    smokinj likes this.
  23. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Rilly?
    Nixon and TreePointer like this.
  24. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Blades, you must be thinking of Husqvarna. Right?

The closest I've seen Stihl to being in a "big box store" is Ace Hardware, a national chain but not quite a BBS. The folks at Ace told me thaty they are held to the same standard as other Stihl dealers in that they stock parts and service what they sell with Stihl trained techs.
    amateur cutter and Nixon like this.
  25. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I belive those ACE stores are independently owned and operated as well, big difference from an organization like HD or Lowes.
    TreePointer likes this.