sometimes over heats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justspur

Feb 2, 2015
missouri
I have a summers heat pellet stove . And it burns great. But sometimes it burns through a bag of pellets in less than 12 hrs . Its only heating around 400 sq feet.
Factory settings are all on 1 and heat is on 1 and blower on 2.
Has anyone had this problem?

Yikes !! That doesn't seem right . I run mine on a stat which only controls feed rate blower stays the same . So on a call for no heat feed rate at one sometimes the room still gets too warm. BUT I think at that feed rate a full hopper might last close to 24 hrs . I have the summers heat 25-pdv and heat 1800 sq ft.

What stove do you have? 1 bag in 12hrs on is certainly possible, but not likely if set to low.

Summers heat 1500 sq feet . And I have it in a 38 ft 5th wheel camper. So its only about 400sq ft

Ok, I think that's the 55-SHP10 you are referring to. I think you want to verify a few things to make some tweaks. First you should see what "mode" you're in. For this stove you'll want to be in mode "D". With the stove shutdown, unplug it, then plug it back in and quickly depress both the blower up and down buttons. That will reveal what mode it's in, and if it's not in mode "D" use the arrows to cycle it to "D". Secondly, you want to adjust the trim buttons. The original settings are Low Fuel Feed 6, Low Air Burn 4, Air on Temp 1. If it's still running to hot in mode "D" at heat range 1 you could try getting the low fuel feed reduced down some.

I think what's really at work here though is that you've got a 400sqft area and 40-50* highs in Missouri - you're not gonna need to run heat all day to keep that space very cozy at all. Every stove has a limit to how far down they can be throttled, that's just a real small space, and it's not all that cold there.

Ok, I think that's the 55-SHP10 you are referring to. I think you want to verify a few things to make some tweaks. First you should see what "mode" you're in. For this stove you'll want to be in mode "D". With the stove shutdown, unplug it, then plug it back in and quickly depress both the blower up and down buttons. That will reveal what mode it's in, and if it's not in mode "D" use the arrows to cycle it to "D". Secondly, you want to adjust the trim buttons. The original settings are Low Fuel Feed 6, Low Air Burn 4, Air on Temp 1. If it's still running to hot in mode "D" at heat range 1 you could try getting the low fuel feed reduced down some.

I think what's really at work here though is that you've got a 400sqft area and 40-50* highs in Missouri - you're not gonna need to run heat all day to keep that space very cozy at all. Every stove has a limit to how far down they can be throttled, that's just a real small space, and it's not all that cold there.

It was on D. And the settings are all on 1.
I set them how said and will try that.
My question is why would it go from heating comfortable to over heating and burning through a bag one day and not the next?
Its on a 15 degree day or a 35 day. Makes no sence.
I will let you. Know with the new setting wat it does.

Thank you for your help.

Some are mobile home approved...... I don't believe any are camper approved.;?

It is strange that you'd be seeing inconsistent burns. I still think it's an awful lot of stove for the space you've got there. And as sidecar eluded to, I'd be real careful with a biomass burning device in a camper. I know as a kid my next door neighbor and I near burned a camper to the ground, it's just such a confined space to have any sort of flame within. I definitely wouldn't run the stove without my eye on it. Stay safe!

It is alot
It is strange that you'd be seeing inconsistent burns. I still think it's an awful lot of stove for the space you've got there. And as sidecar eluded to, I'd be real careful with a biomass burning device in a camper. I know as a kid my next door neighbor and I near burned a camper to the ground, it's just such a confined space to have any sort of flame within. I definitely wouldn't run the stove without my eye on it. Stay safe!
It is alot for the space I agree. And I do keep an eye on it. Could there be be a problem withe the control board?
I got the idea from a pipeliner in north dakota.

Sometimes ideas are good, sometimes bad, This 'idea' is the latter.

This is true.
But until just a few days ago it was burning correctly. A bag in just under 24 hrs.
Many of us here in the North and Mid-west are going thru 2 bags in a 24 hr day due to the precent cold pattern and overnite single digits tremps...
soooo, 12-14 hours on a bag is not unusual for good or crappy pellets..

How does the pellet stove work?
Is it like a wood stove ? But you control the amount of heat with the amount of pellets being fed to it. Can it be set up with a thermostat like a wood furnace?

Many of us here in the North and Mid-west are going thru 2 bags in a 24 hr day due to the precent cold pattern and overnite single digits tremps...
soooo, 12-14 hours on a bag is not unusual for good or crappy pellets..
Have you came home and it 100 degree in the house?
And that's on a 40 degree day .its in the teens tonight.

Have you came home and it 100 degree in the house?
And that's on a 40 degree day .its in the teens tonight.
No...have my stove set at 72 degrees inside temp.
doesn't matter what the outside temp is..
it will slowly shut down as the temperature in the house rises due to the room temperature probe coming off the back of the stove.
If the house starts to cool below 70 degrees, the stove will feed pellets and automatically re-ignite..
I assume you never used a pellet stove...
works the same as a oil or gas furnace with a thermostat in the room.

No...have my stove set at 72 degrees inside temp.
doesn't matter what the outside temp is..
it will slowly shut down as the temperature in the house rises due to the room temperature probe coming off the back of the stove.
If the house starts to cool below 70 degrees, the stove will feed pellets and automatically re-ignite..
I assume you never used a pellet stove...
works the same as a oil or gas furnace with a thermostat in the room.
You are correct this is my first pellet stove. Bought it used with no paper work.

This is probably some good reading for you to do - the owners manual. Take a read through the whole thing, and make sure you've observed all the safety measures in full. I'm not sure how you ended up burning so much more pellets - maybe a power interruption caused some sort of change at the controller.

I'd go back through, make sure it's in mode D and all the trims are set to factory. If it's still too hot running on the lowest heat setting you can drop the Low Fuel Feed trim down a few notches. If you have trouble keeping that fire going you may need to then reduce the Low Burn Air as well.

This is probably some good reading for you to do - the owners manual. Take a read through the whole thing, and make sure you've observed all the safety measures in full. I'm not sure how you ended up burning so much more pellets - maybe a power interruption caused some sort of change at the controller.

I'd go back through, make sure it's in mode D and all the trims are set to factory. If it's still too hot running on the lowest heat setting you can drop the Low Fuel Feed trim down a few notches. If you have trouble keeping that fire going you may need to then reduce the Low Burn Air as well.
I just did that this morning. Down loaded it and checked to and made sure it was on d. And lowered the setting ?
I am going to let it run its course today and go from there.
Thank y'all for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.