Sometimes things have to wait

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timusp40

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2010
Lake Orion, Michigan
To all the Hearth members. I love this site, but have not posted in some time.

I don't know how many of you out there remember me or my posts. I got interested in becoming a woodburner a while back and started building my stacks from scrounges here and there. Nice to have the anticipation of the comfort that all the effort of cutting, splitting and stacking would supply in the coming season.

My plan was to have a stove in our home this fall. Well, the scrounging part has been succesfull. I have close to 11 cords of Oak, Maple, Walnut, Ash, Mulberry, Elm and Locust in the yard drying is these hot rainless days that have plagued Michigan and a lot of the other states this year. I'm not complaining. I know there are a bunch of people out there trying to make ends meet just like myself, but I had my heart set on getting set up for this year and it just isn't going to happen. It's just dollars and cents and I am still working on the dollars part.

So the stacks will age in the yard and I will continue to add to them at every oppertunity. It's just going to be real hard to hear that gas furnace lighting up this winter.
Take care,
Tim

Attachments

• DSCF3126.JPG
    DSCF3126.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 123
Hope you win the lottery Tim. That is a very respectable amount of wood, neatly stacked.

I feel your pain bro. But it will be there when you can use it.

Sometimes..... The best things in life....? Are worth waiting for.

Simply put. When you get a stove, you will be farther ahead than 99% of burners. Very rare to have 1 season of good burning wood. You have about 3 and counting!!

Have you searched the used market? Or thought about trading??? Chimneys can be expensive. But I have seen whole systems go for cheap. My entire system was $800. My Englander 30-NC, all double wall in my basement, wall thimble, Clean out T, 18' of Class A, all brackets and extended roof kit. I seen it on Craiglist, then seen the same deal here in the For Sale section. I contacted the seller (forum member Lethal dose). He went from $1,200 to $800 and I brought home about a 1/2 cord from his place also.

Deals are out there...... Some people are looking for someone who will appreciate what there getting and give them a great deal
.. Be prevalent and persistent. You will prevail sooner or later.

Until then... Great job stacking! You have some great BTU's ready for your disposal. The money you may spend in fuel this Winter is a drop in the bucket, compared to what that wood will save you in the years coming.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hello

Did you try scrounging for a stove? My first stove was a Franklin that I found in the garage not hooked up when I bought the house!

It was not much but sure had fun doing some burns!

The wood's money in the bank, Tim, and every day it dries it's earning interest. One day you'll begin to burn it, I'm sure. Meanwhile, just take care of it, add to it, be proud of it, and think about future warmth from it. You know your priorities better than anyone else. Rick

The wood's money in the bank, Tim, and every day it dries it's earning interest. One day you'll begin to burn it, I'm sure. Meanwhile, just take care of it, add to it, be proud of it, and think about future warmth from it. You know your priorities better than anyone else. Rick

Hey Fossil. How long does it last before the bugs get into it and it starts rotting?

Hey Fossil. How long does it last before the bugs get into it and it starts rotting?

Probably already got some bugs in it. They won't eat it all. Keep it from direct ground contact, top cover (or not, depending on your climate & whim), there's no reason it won't last for decades.

Properly elevated and protected from the ground, in sun, that wood should sit there and wait patiently till about 2020 (if not longer).

Tim - I agree with keeping an eye on the used market. Heck, you might just find pipe for cheap, maybe a stove, maybe the whole shebang. But as Rick said, you know your priorities far better than any of us.

Don't sweat the wood pile - it will be ready for you when you are ready for it.

Reactions: ScotO
How about selling a few cords of wood to finance the stove? Locally they are getting about $250 a cord for good quality, dry wood.

Reactions: BrianK and ScotO
I agree with the guys who suggest selling some wood to buy your stove. Not sure of your house size/insulation/etc., but I have a 2800 sq.ft. house, and we use around 7-8 cords during a cold heating season. So I would figure out what you think you will be using this winter, keep that amount and look into selling the rest to finance a stove. I bought my Napoleon 1900P (used) in the local classifieds 5 years ago for 800 bucks! It was only used one year by the previous owner and it was in MINT condition. So look locally in your classifieds, Craigslist, etc. for a late model used stove. I even see good, gently used Class A stainless pipe for sale in the classifieds from time to time, very inexpensive! Just an idea. Don't give up hope yet, get to selling some of that wood, keep scrounging, and watch for a stove. This is the time of the year to buy!

Don, I'm not Fossil but I can tell you I've seen wood in the stack for 20 years and it was really good stuff. Keep it covered and off the ground and it will last a long, long time.

Tim, like many, I can feel your hurt. It seems many of us drive over some very rough roads at times; that's life. However, as stated, the wood won't rot or go away and it will be just that much better in another year. Do what you have to do and carry on from there. As I've stated many times, that wood pile is better than a CD in the bank by a long shot. Look on it with pride and feel good. If you can sell a bit to help out, then by all means do it. You've worked hard for that and you can put the dollars to good use. Good luck to you.

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
Don, I'm not Fossil but I can tell you I've seen wood in the stack for 20 years and it was really good stuff. Keep it covered and off the ground and it will last a long, long time.

Thanks for the Info Savage!

To all of you that posted a reply,
The Hearth and its members never cease to amaze me!.Thanks for all the suggestions and encourangment. I am always looking for deals on a stove, pipe and accessories. If it takes another year, so be it. I WILL get that stove sooner or later. Mom always said that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps it just isn't time yet.
In the meantime I have all my stacks off the ground and I plan on adding to them every chance I get. In fact, I picked this Maple and Oak up today just before the stroms hit our area.
DSCF3156.JPG
Another pretty good scroung I think. Thanks again everyone.
Take care,
Tim

Yes, you'll get a stove...after you've dealt with the more immediately pressing things, and when circumstances allow. It seems pretty obvious to me that you have good judgement, and a well-placed sense of priorities. Don't lose hope, don't become impatient. Just keep looking to see what's before you to be done...and doing it to the best of your ability. Keep in touch with us here...we're sort of "family" (loosely interpreted, of course ;lol)...but even though we don't really "know" one another, we are interested and we do care. Rick

Reactions: tfdchief and ScotO
i'm in the same boat for different reasons. it's a good roadblock if you want to call it that. like you said, it happens for a reason. since i rent my house, i've stopped looking for wood altogether since i may have to leave it or offload it to my neighbor. your stacks look awesome; hope they come to good use soon!

How about selling some of your wood for extra funds? Set aside 3-4 cords for yourself, keep scrounging and sell enough to buy your stove.

Smart! Maybe post what you're looking for and your budget in the Wanted / For Sale section and someone will meet your price.

Hang in there . . . and keep checking those classifieds to see if there are any decent deals on used woodstoves . . . and see if it might make sense to try selling some firewood to help fund the purchase.

In the meantime . . . as others have said . . . worse comes to worse . . . you'll be one of those rare individuals who get a woodstove AND have primo seasoned wood to go in their first year of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.