1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

soot on window fo pellet stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by gsxr-rider137, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsxr-rider137

gsxr-rider137 New Member

Loc:
    connecticut
    i recently bought and installed a breckwell P2001 fireplace insert pellet stove. the issue i have is soot on the window. the manual says common issues are damper not being open enough,,and pellet auger speed too slow.. i opened the damper 1/2 more and increased the flow of pellets. still i have soot that forms and the top of the windows and seems to flow downward..almost looking like stalagites that form in caves..dripping from the ceiling.. what else can i do to stop the soot from forming on the window??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    You'll always have soot when running on the lower settings. Turn it up and it burns cleaner without soot.

I clean mine everyday...
  3. kast

kast New Member

Loc:
    Stoughton M.A
    I’m sure it’s not recommended, but I just open it up when it is running and wipe it a few times (two seconds worth) dry towel of course :) that keeps it looking nice while it is running. Then I’ll just give it a good cleaning when I shut her down.
  4. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    Grey soot on the Glass is normal
    if you have Black soot or a sticky build up then you have a Problem, Air adjustment or with air leak from the door or ash pan.
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA

^^^^^^ I do this too.

I think most stove glass soots up quicker when the stove
    runs on low settings.
  6. abbdog

abbdog New Member

Loc:
    wingdale,ny
    I have the p2000fs and i get the same upside down Stalagtite look on the glass running on the #2 setting.Removed my log kit and tried different damper settings with no luck.I'll have to keep the rags handy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.