SootEater/Chimney Cleaning....A Quick Question (or 2)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BurnIt13 said:
Anyone ever buy thier SootEater locally? Or is it an internet only type thing?

I have been looking locally for a bit, but haven't been able to find one. I have decide to break down and order one this weekend from Smarthome. They had a 10% off coupon a couple of weeks ago, but I missed it.

Anyone that has a chimney top damper ever use a Sooteater? For example, will the Sooteater cut the thin cable going up the chimney like a Weedeater through a tough weed? The thin cable is metal, but I'm not sure how much force the Sooteater delivers.

I received my Sooteater(s) on Monday and did the cleaning yesterday. I needed two sets as my flue is 26'+. It took me an hour from opening the boxes to putting the drill away. One problem I did have is that one section would not connect to the drill attachment, no matter what I tried. Not really a big deal as I ordered 2 sets and didn't need all the sections. I would advise anyone who get this to try assembling the sections first if you need all 18'. Also getting the sections apart in some cases was a PITA. You almost need three hands but I expect that after a few uses the connections will loosen a bit or I could spray a little lube on them first. Possibly some of the creosote dust got into the joint and bound it up as they went together without issue (all except above). Another tip as was stated by someone else in a posting somewhere here (and I would give credit but I don't remember who said it) is that when they have you trim the line to fit your flue, don't cut both sides to fit. Loosen the nut that holds the string (it comes with the Allen tool) slide the string through until one side is the correct length and cut the other side to length. Save the waste as replacement string

I wish I knew about the soot eater - I just dropped almost $200 for a 6" poly brush and 25' of rods for my SS liner. However, I'm sure the rod did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.