Sooteater snapped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I was cleaning my chimney for the year and decided to have my 5yo help out... Never too young to learn...

I ran the Sooteater all of the way up, pulled it back a bit and had her spin it and push it a bit. She dropped the drill and I cringed a bit but the drill kept working. She'd had enough after that so I went to finish and started the drill back up to spin as I removed it. Suddenly a rod snapped. It kinda ruins the experience. The break was at the bottom of the chimney/thimble area when she dropped it so I think it was child caused and not an issue with the product. I've used the Sooteater for around 5 years now and never had an issue.

I guess Daddy's aren't too old to learn either! Don't share all experiences with the kid! I have extra rods so no harm no foul. Since the brush isn't rigid the Sooteater can't get stuck up the chimney like the steel ones can.

I have an easy to clean class a pipe. Clean it with a brush and 4 rods. I doubt there would ever be a problem but I still attach a safety / retrieve rope to the brush head just in case one of those pieces failed.

Bummer, but make it golden and turn it into a physics lesson. These moments with daddy's little helper are precious and valuable. And kudos for getting her involved. A lot of dads still don't want their little girls getting dirty.

Bummer, but make it golden and turn it into a physics lesson. These moments with daddy's little helper are precious and valuable. And kudos for getting her involved. A lot of dads still don't want their little girls getting dirty.
I raised 3 girls and 2 of the 3 didn't mind getting dirty at all. Hauled firewood, changed their own oil in their cars etc. start em early as helpers and it's good for you and them. Have granddaughters now so starting over again. Love it. [emoji4]

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Well done. My dad had a mechanical contracting business. As a kid, he took me out on evening calls as he visited customers to diagnose their hvac, electrical or plumbing problems and new systems design. I learned an huge amount during those calls without ever knowing it. The life skills I learned were an incredible gift that have helped me immensely throughout my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1kzwoman and Osage
Wow. Kinda concerns me about my rods breaking. My bend is tight going from the bottom up (I enter the tee which is about 16-18 inches off of the ground).

This spring I had someone sweep for me ($40!) and he just leaned his ladder on my chimney that extends beyond the roof. It's a 5/12 pitch and I have about 5 feet of chimney above it. I didn't think the chimney would be able to handle the weight of the ladder leaning on it. I was wrong. All that being said, I may just try running my sooteater from the top to the bottom next time.

Awesome for getting the kids to help. Today my 4 year old helped me bring 4 wheelbarrows full of wood into my basement. Moments like that set a foundation that can't be undone.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.