Sooteater stuck Kudos to Chimney Sweeps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my soot eater came apart and got stuck in the chimney. Sweep can't get here still tuesday to sweep and push it out. Guess I'll go with a sweep from now on UUGHHH!!!! Propaine is on.

How did it get stuck ? I'm thinking about doing my own too, and I'm a little nervous of the thing getting stuck also. I have a 45 degree bend at one point in the run.

Can't get to the top 35' to top of chase. I'm sure I didn't ensure the pin locked in the shaft have used before no problems. Lesson learned Murphy is everywhere

You must have some bends in the pipe, mine just wanted to fall out after I was done since the head does not have any friction when it is not spinning.

thats what i thought straight pipe not sure if its hung up in the cap or what? Sweep comes highly recommended only 159.00 and will check clean everything and reassemble stove pipe. Don't think i'll be doing myself again.

Sweep came and swept Chimney did a great job redid stovepipe connection and checked clearances. Couldn't believe they went from the peak to the chase on a ladder stretched across the divide it's forty feet up there. They said safer than extension ladder. Well worth the price these guys will get my business every year. I truly appreciate the value of a good sweep now. The picture is before stove was installed but you get the idea. THey said be back next year and I said sure thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 390
Does that mean I can buy that Sooteater contraption off of you cheap? :cheese:

Sure but my cheap and your cheap might be different:) :lol: PM me if you want. I was amazed they went across from the chase to the peak like a Circus

Holy hell. No amount of money would get me up on that thing! :bug:

Pagey said:

No kidding. This house was framed and sheet rocked when we came to look at it. I borrowed a ladder from a carpenter and went up to see how hard it would be to get to the chimney while my wife looked at the inside.

Some of the chimneys on houses make me shake my head ruefully. What could the builder have been thinking? It sure wasn't that he was gonna have to clean the damned thing.

No only the glass in the great room never need a light during the day

Also, if the 30 can heat that much space and/or glass, color me impressed!

Pagey said:

Oh come on people it's not that bad! (I'm a painter by trade) ;-)

Seriously, that does look a little sketchy though. And your sweep is right, a 40' extension ladder stretched to the max isn't very safe.

You know you're a real wood burner when....

BrotherBart said:
I borrowed a ladder from a carpenter and went up to see how hard it would be to get to the chimney while my wife looked at the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.