Sopport Ceiling Box Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JBS1216

Dec 12, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hi. I got a lot of help here on safe ways to install my old Franklin stove. After that advice I decided to find a newer stove. I came across a used Vermont stove. I am going to relocate the stove in the spring when I can cut the roof open. Now that its cold I would like to remove the old ceiling box, from the Franklin stove location, and patch the ceiling and floor. All the indoor work. My question is can I remove the ceiling box and leave the roof flashing and chimney pipe in place till spring/summer? Or is the box supporting the chimney and it all needs to come out at the same time?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 74
It is supporting the chimney and will all need to come out at the same time

Reactions: Highbeam
You can screw the pipe to the flashing if it isn't already, then take all the pipe out except the pipe that comes through the roof. If there's access in the attic anyway.

Thanks Webby3650. That is what I would do if it was possible. I only have access to the box in the room and the roof. Its a cathedral ceiling, so the box is attached to the rafters. From the box inside to the roof top is about 10".