1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sorry, server was down this morn.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by webbie, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    The server blew a power supply!

Luckily, I had some guys on the case and got it fixed right away.

First time I've had a hardware failure in 11 years - I replace the server long before it usually wears out.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. martel

martel Member

I panicked...
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    you and me both. I think it went down late last night. It woulndt work at 10:30 mountain time.
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The wrath of elk?
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The Ash Can overheated the power supply.
  6. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Or that would be "mountain stove guy time"
  7. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    True , True ............... Ha .
  8. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    it happened write after I received a reply from a post. Must be a virus from your Mac
  9. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    You need a nice Blade Center with hot plug everything with redundant power supply running virtual servers. One of them goes down and you can have a new one back up in 2-5 seconds. It would alleviate sooo much anxiety. I felt empty this morning. Had to read new darned news instead. Give a ring...I'll hook you up! :)
  10. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I heard it was the corolious effect in reverse that cooked the power supply. Hey when the thing smoked, did the the smoke spiral?

Craig Got your email later, ended up in the junk folder. I see my question / insulation post got moved to the green room. It never showed up here. I had nothing to do with a power spike to his server. And I thought I was being punished for playing golf. The way I played was painfull enough. Nothing should be taken serious in this post. Iam LOL but not at the server issue..

BB another good one Eric too
  11. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yeah, sooner or later I will go even further....my systems is not really mission critical - BUT, this was the largest outage in 11 years (10 hours) and all told less than 24 hours in that time....I don't think anything will beat that over the long term.

Currently we have RAID on two drives mirroring each other. We also have full backups weekly on tape.

I've been working with the same two guys (little ISP and a UNIX Admin/server sales guy) for so many years and they have been good to me. I'll probably just wait and if it happens 3 times in a year or anything terrible like that...then I will move on. But you know how it is - leaving the known for the unknown. Some of these big hosting companies might sound good, but then they can disappear or get sold. I have the private cell numbers of my guys.
  12. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Ideally, just one with two blades - two separate servers and power supplies. Heck, if the 777 can fly on two engines, two servers should be safe enough for us.
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    When I couldn't sign on I assumed you had gotten us all banned.
  14. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Speaking from experience I went into stealth mode and still could not get the server to reply. I then knew I was not banned again.

Me.thinking I too was banned again, I know how the banning is implememted. Then I started thinking, maybe Craig upgraded the banning proceedures and that I could not by pass them as eaisilly as before.

Then flash it came to me, had Craig connected his servers to outside air to keep a constant flow of cooler fresh air, they would not have overheated. Another thought came to me. Martha, Web widdow, decided Craig spent too much time in the basement she pulled the plug. Nah Then I figured craig plugged in his amplifier in the wrong plug to start a jam to work out fustrations and blew the curcuit. My mind is now in full mode of figuring what happened. I had mushroom pizza last night. maybe I was just halosinating the site was off line
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Hmm, see, we might have started WWIII just from a simple misunderstanding!

I would like to know the colorful words you were thinking about me right at that moment!

Just for the record, there is no one who has every been banned yet - Even Frank Ivy was only banned until I could email him and sort things out, then he was reinstated.

I'm certain that sooner or later we will have to, but I don't see anything yet approaching lifetime banning. I also believe in redemption, so if I or someone else makes a mistake, hopefully we will get another chance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.