Soundproofing basement ceiling??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We did approx 800 sqf and did not cost 3K. Are you doing the work yourself or is this from a contractor ?

We skipped the fancy accoustic tiles and it really isnt that bad for sound unless you are watching a movie loud with sorround sound and subwoofer :).

A friend has done his basement the right way - ROXUL, resilient channel and drywall.

Having built a few recording studios where bang for the buck was very important, nothing will get you further than resillient channel and two layers of 5/8" drywall, firetaped after the first layer. Insulation of any kind will help with most transmission over 500hz(dial tone is 440). you coul,d always install the first layer and then see how much difference it makes before going on to the second. When you do don't forget to stagger the joints in your drywall. Good luck.

Reactions: btuser
It all depends on the budget and on exactly how much you want to cut down on the sound.

I wanted to be able to play guitar loud - we even had the whole band in there, and you can hardly hear it upstair. I did in the semi-pro way....

1. There was already FG insulation
2. I installed regular sound board on the bottom of the joists
3. I installed loaded vinyl (sand impregnated roll material) on the bottom of that.
4. I installed metal sheet tracks hanging on sound mount rubber clips
5. I installed 5/8 rock on the bottom of those.....

That works pretty damn well.

I bought the stuff from these guys:
http://soundproofing.org/

If all you care about is a TV and phone conversations, you can probably get by with much less. Mass and air spaces are the key - however you combine them! FG and two layers of rock will go a long way....

Micore is a sound deadening material that is used inside of cubicle walls.

I think I will end up going 2 layers of drywall. It seems to be the cheapest and most efficient way to get it done. My budget is very limited...I also just purchased 14 recessed lights...$400!!!!!!

Thanks for all your advice guys..

Andrew

Andrew,
Might the recessed lights provide a way for sound to get through your drywall barrier?

Having built a few recording studios where bang for the buck was very important, nothing will get you further than resillient channel and two layers of 5/8" drywall, firetaped after the first layer. Insulation of any kind will help with most transmission over 500hz(dial tone is 440). you coul,d always install the first layer and then see how much difference it makes before going on to the second. When you do don't forget to stagger the joints in your drywall. Good luck.
This is my recommendation as well. I would use two layers of 5/8", acoustical strapping either screwed correctly or with expensive isolsation clips (I know that's the wrong word for it) on the ceiling, caulk the edges and add a piece of crown/molding to hide the joint. Cheap, readily available and cheap. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SCREW LENGHT!!!!! You're wasting your time if you end up screwing right into the joists, in fact the whole assembly needs to be isolated from structural members in order to keep from transfering the sound. There's also a type of green caulking goo stuff you can buy that you apply between the two layers that's supposed to help, but I priced it for a smal wall partition and decided it was more expensive than an additonal layer of drywall.

Fiberglass isn't that great at stopping sound. Better than nothing but nowhere near as effective as an additional layer of drywall (which ends up being cheaper).

Semipro: There will certainly be some sound transfer. I never thought of that!!!!!! AGH. Well, I can't take them back now (well, I could but my wife won't let me)....^$@!^. I didn't think of that..

Btuser: no clips. I won't be screwing into the joists though, I got 1 inch screws. I didnt get any green glue yet, that's next week.

Considering there's nothing there right now, I hope the drywall makes some kind of a difference.

OTherwise I am digging a hole in the floor in my basement and burrying myself in it when I want peace ;)

A

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.