Spare auger motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What spare parts do you keep around? This is my second season with the stove, and it's probably time to assemble some spare parts.

I have both a spare stirrer motor (1 RPM) and now will have a spare auger motor (2 -2.4 RPM). I also have some spare combustion blower gaskets and and am keeping the somewhat worn out ignitor just as a backup (it still works, although it ignites slowly).

IMO, you should have gaskets and an ignitor to start with, and a spare auger motor if you find one cheap, like the one I snagged above.

Been meaning to get some spare augers for my toy. I have a spare board. Igniter and POF snap disc. I heat with mine as a primary heat and don't have an easy backup(my wood stove is more for power outages) so I can't afford down time or wait for parts. I'll also need a comb and conv blower to round things out JIC.

IMHO if you have a good backup source its not as important to have as many spares. You can run the backup source while your waiting. Gives it a workout and most dealers usually have parts within a week or so!

I also have a lot of spare this and thats....inventory is a great thing.

That 2 RPM motor...depending on what you are replacing, that C-frame will mount on other gear boxes so you can keep your 1 RPM...sometimes...and to those of you who do not know...flip the coil to reverse direction.

You KNOW you really don't want to turn that on....there's no romantic firelight either.......;lol
unfortunately this year I purchased LP at $.89/gal, so I'm going with the its a hobby story this year.... ;em

unfortunately this year I purchased LP at $.89/gal, so I'm going with the its a hobby story this year.... ;em

It's not the same as sitting in front of the stove sucking on a cold can of beer!

Reactions: smoke show
I keep some parts on hand. But of I could get LP that cheap!!! I wouldnt burn pellets much either......

Its between $3-$4 a gallon here. :( So the pellets and wood are what I will be using :)

I have a bunch for the Quad. As it was the Main heater for several yrs. With the Wood stove and Pellet furnace additions last year, I dont need to worry about spares now......

I have a back up, for my back up, for my back up, for my back up!! ;) The term "We have ignition" takes on a whole new meaning :mad:

Just ordered one of these off ebay. 2 RPM. $18.95, and it's brand new. Even with the ridiculous shipping cost, it's still a steal for a back-up unit.

www.ebay.com/itm/380454783177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

If anyone else can use one, they still have a bunch left for sale.

Hey Pete

Is there much difference between a 2.4 RPM and a 2 RPM auger motor?
I have a 2.4 RPM motor and my friend needs a 2 RPM auger motor.

BTW. How much was the shipping?

Shipping for me from the Surplus Center is $12.42

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp

This is what I get for 1 RPM motors but I go to CSH where they ship from anyway. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Auger-Motor-Whitfield-Merkle-Korff/dp/B0032D26I6

Attachments

• SurplusCenter2RPMgearboxMotor.jpg
    SurplusCenter2RPMgearboxMotor.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 141
Hey Pete

Is there much difference between a 2.4 RPM and a 2 RPM auger motor?
I have a 2.4 RPM motor and my friend needs a 2 RPM auger motor.

BTW. How much was the shipping?.....

IMO, the .4 difference in speed isn't an issue.....I'll just increase the fuel feed a couple notches if it seems to be "starving" for fuel. Again, this is an emergency spare, and hopefully won't be needed much, if at all. If your friend needs a 2rpm motor, wait until I get this unit next week and have a chance to check it out.....supposed to be delivered Wed.

As for shipping, it was $11.21 to me, so auger cost me $30 and change.

All that said, IMO, the Gleason Avery units at $75 are the best units around, especially if they are going to be the permanent replacement for the factory unit.

Wowzers. I was pretty happy topping off the tank at $1.75, but you did a lot better than I did.
Yeah I just about chit when I called for a fill up and they told me that price. Last year was around $1.50 and as high as $2.20 back in 08.

Break even point for me is around $1.20. Damn pellet dealer knows what he is doing with the early buy program. ;em

just ordered one. cant beat the price for a spare.

Well, the auger motor arrived today, and let me tell you, it is awesome! A HUGE stack....easily a half inch thicker than the one on the Gleason Avery one I have, and brand new. I tested it and it actually runs right at 2.4 RPM, which is exactly what Englander calls for in the specs for the auger motor.

This thing should chew through ANY pellet without even breaking a sweat. :)

Well, the auger motor arrived today, and let me tell you, it is awesome! A HUGE stack....easily a half inch thicker than the one on the Gleason Avery one I have, and brand new. I tested it and it actually runs right at 2.4 RPM, which is exactly what Englander calls for in the specs for the auger motor.

This thing should chew through ANY pellet without even breaking a sweat. :)

Hi Pete

Very nice! How did you test the RPMs? Do you have a small engine tach? How does the probe work?

I would like to build in 2 of these panel mount tachometers into the Astoria. Then I could monitor both blowers. :)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EXTECH-Panel-Tachometer-5AY32?Pid=search

Panel Tachometer, 5 to 99, 990 RPM, Accuracy +/-0.05 Percent, Resolution 0.1 RPM, 4 Digit LED Display, Power Requirement 115/230 VAC, Includes Instructions, Manufacturers Warranty Length 1 Year

Grainger Item #
5AY32​
Price (ea.)
$202.50
Brand
EXTECH​
Mfr. Model #
461950​
UNSPSC #
41111907​
Ship Qty.
1​
Sell Qty. (Will-Call)
1​
Ship Weight (lbs.)
0.95​
Availability
Ready to Ship
Catalog Page No.
Country of Origin
(Country of Origin is subject to change.)
Taiwan​

Attachments

• PanelMtTach.jpg
    PanelMtTach.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 160
Status
Not open for further replies.