1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

sparkles in the secondary burn??

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DavidV, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    Never seen this before. like the aroura borealis. External temp of stove was just under 200 and I was starting to close the bypas to trap some heat in there and get the temp up. I noticed a strong secondary burnrolling across the ceiling of the stove and then I noticed come crazy burning dots in the burn. Some were sparkly and some were dark orange and turning bright blue. the load was mostly oak with one piece of gum. Anyone ever seen anything like that??? I wanted to take a picture but my wife had the digital camera. my cellphone cam didn't do it justice.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    yep, common this time of year.
  3. PaulGuy

PaulGuy New Member

Ho Ho Ho
  4. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    I have been trying to logically figure it out and the only thing I can figure is that before I got home from work, the kid put a lone piece of wood on the dieing coals and closed the door without giving it enough air, so it smoldered for a while. Maybe some smoke deposited on the inside surface of the stove and when I loaded it back up got things burning again, the heat and combustion gas activity inside the stove dislodged some of the deposit particles and they fell into the secondary burn cloud and "burned up on reentry".

I really wish I could have photographed it. it was COOL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.