Species ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pma1123

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2013
Watertown, WI
I cut this up over the weekend; looking for some help with ID. No pictures yet of fresh splits...its very dense/heavy though.

Attachments

• DSC05118.JPG
    DSC05118.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC05117.JPG
    DSC05117.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 91
+1 got the same stuff in the back yard. Near impossible to split and smells really odd

I think red elm as well. The stuff I have split was waaaayyyyy easier than American Elm.

Thats a beautiful looking tree. looks really healthy. I think its Red Elm, Ulmus rubra. If you want a positive ID, gouge the bark or peel it and soak it and see if it gets gelatinous. Or slimey. I found 3-4 of these in my orchard and I couldnt tell if it was Siberian or Red, siberian being extremely invasive. If its not that important, the wood/ heat is about the same. They are full of water but they season well, no long waiting periods. My trees split beautiful the grain was super straight and it just popped apart. The one you have looks like a nice milling tree.

I scrounged some Silver Maple and some Elm from the same cut. The Silver was ready to go after six months but the Elm wasn't quite ready. But I distinctly recall the weight of the Elm.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! The few spots where bark came off, this stuff is very slippery. The upper portion of the tree was dead/barkless and the upper limbs are probably ready to go for burning, but this thing has plenty of water once you get down towards the trunk.

Heres a picture from felling, mid-fall...

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm
Hmmm, pretty good-sized one...

Agreed, all of the 'dead elms' I've cut thus far have been maybe 8-14" diameter at the base and one tree bucked will fill my ford ranger.
This one was 22" at the trunk; 4 ranger loads when bucked. Gave my MS250 a nice workout. I slept pretty well after this too. :cool:

Reactions: Osagebndr
Status
Not open for further replies.