spent the past three days splitting.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great S.O., looks like it has some b_ lls to it.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
The mountain of wood in my staging area! Started splitting on Friday evening, that was the poison ivy-covered dead white oak we dropped last weekend. UGH.......I dreaded doing it, but hated to waste the heartwood in that tree. Ended up taking all the sapwood and bark off with the splitter as I split up the heartwood. Took all that poison ivy-tainted bark and sapwood up into the woods to rot, ended up with almost half a cord of good heartwood from that white oak. Then moved on to a big dead slippery elm from that same jobsite, got it all split up next. Then onto the MOUNTAIN of maple I had sitting here. Spent all day today splitting that heap. All told I got around 4 cord give or take, sold a cord to my one boss at work for campfire wood.

View attachment 70383 View attachment 70384 View attachment 70385 View attachment 70386 View attachment 70387 View attachment 70388

I would rather be picking up wet dog poop! (So hot and dry here even that is a rare job) :oops:

Well Scott you got me motivated, since I supplement with wood I am only gathering up about 4-5 cord. My son lives 2 miles down the road with a couple of buddies in an 18 acre wooded lot owned by his roommates Dad who is a good friend of mine. Last fall they borrowed our chainsaws and malls and wedges and have about 8 cord on the ground ready for pick-up. I picked up 1st cord today. 100_3629.jpg have to stage it because the next photo shows where I usually stack it but the wife takes over front porch in summer and will occasionally sit out there and read.100_3631.jpgI will bring camera on next trip to show you the woods. Not quite sure if my stacks will ever look as good as yours or Mad Dogs.;) Cost me a couple cases of beer:p

Well Scott you got me motivated, since I supplement with wood I am only gathering up about 4-5 cord. My son lives 2 miles down the road with a couple of buddies in an 18 acre wooded lot owned by his roommates Dad who is a good friend of mine. Last fall they borrowed our chainsaws and malls and wedges and have about 8 cord on the ground ready for pick-up. I picked up 1st cord today. I have to stage it because the next photo shows where I usually stack it but the wife takes over front porch in summer and will occasionally sit out there and read. I will bring camera on next trip to show you the woods. Not quite sure if my stacks will ever look as good as yours or Mad Dogs.;)? Cost me a couple cases of beer:p
I'm sure your stacks are just as good, Defiant! Looking forward to those pics, nice to have that kind of access, and some beer for hard labor, that sounds like a good trade to me! ;)

Reactions: DexterDay
well done scott.

its hard for me to get motivated in this heat and these deerflies. hey, before you know it, fall will be here.

well done scott.

its hard for me to get motivated in this heat and these deerflies. hey, before you know it, fall will be here.

Let's have summer a while longer yet Onetracker. That wood can wait no need to get motivated get a cold drink and sit a spell.

Scott, you've done a mess of work there and deserve a break. I didn't even go outside today. Temperature 99 degrees. Broke 100 in lots of places in MI.

Good job Scotty, nice to get the job done, of course you never seem to be done in this hobby.

Looks Great Scotty! Wish my stacks where that perfect ;hm!

Status
Not open for further replies.