Split phase electric motors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have an electric motor that is 230V 15A and is rated 5SPL hp at 3600 RPM that I used to repower a splitter with an old dead B&S;5 hp. It only has two electrical posts in addition to the ground? I wired it for 110 and it splits better than the gas motor ever did. However, I can't find anything on how to wire it for 230. Do I use the two hot legs and ignore the neutral?

Attachments

• IMAGE_105.jpg
    IMAGE_105.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 172
As the two hot leads are 180 degrees out of phase, 230 volts is the voltage measured across the two hot leads peak to peak.

I'm not an electrician, but I think you would wire the two hot leads to the motor, and ground the chassis using the ground wire.

Somebody with a little more experience with 2-phase power will probably chime in shortly.

-MG

Status
Not open for further replies.