Split this one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barmstrong2

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2007
Maine
Found this out back. this was from a fall I cut a couple years ago. I have no idea what kind of wood, but, it was tough as heck. I'm just gonna leave it right here.
KIMG0119 (2).jpg

Reactions: Diabel
Varnish it and sell it for five hundred bucks as art.

Wait a while. Some of the guys on here have some real twisted up messes.

Looks like you could make a stool or a chair of some sort out of it.

Varnish it and sell it for five hundred bucks as art.
Don't laugh - but it looks like a horse's head (I should know, I'm the proverbial horse's a$$). I see slices, blocks, chunks and uglies with a coat of urethane sitting in places like Winners selling for $200 +.

I wasn't laughing. I was serious.

I know. "don't laugh" was aimed at the horse head vision - not sure if anyone else would see that image or if its just just my fuzzy brain. I agree 100% with the art suggestion, people are doing it all over. Hell, some guy is packaging up 3 leaves and selling online for just under $20 a pop. (maybe I could advertise on CL and get those buyers to come out and clean my gutters for free, all the leaves they want....) ;lol

Reactions: Dusky
Don't laugh - but it looks like a horse's head (I should know, I'm the proverbial horse's a$$). I see slices, blocks, chunks and uglies with a coat of urethane sitting in places like Winners selling for $200 +.

I suspect you, Sean and I were not the only ones who "saw" a horse . . . and if you squint just right you can see the Lone Ranger as well . . . OK, I am kidding about that one . . . but yeah, looked a bit like a horse to me as well.

Reactions: bag of hammers
Good hunk for a wood carver or the outdoor fire pit. The pit is where all my crap wood gets burnt.

Just a guess, but it looks similar to some of the Osage snarls I have had. If so, that snarl will be about the same density as cement.

That's totally what I saw. Needs a fancy tag that says "Spirit of the horse" or something.;)

Reactions: bag of hammers
Am I the only one that sees their mother-in-law?

Just a guess, but it looks similar to some of the Osage snarls I have had. If so, that snarl will be about the same density as cement.

And do about the same thing to your chain! _g

This was a dead standing tree when I started working where I do. It came down in a wind storm a couple of years ago and I cut it and dragged it home. I never saw it with leaves or even bark. It split tough as rock. I busted a couple pieces with a maul, but, I left most in the hydro pile. There is another dead standing tree beside where this was and its an elm. I'm taking that down this weekend. This could have been elm but it wasn't sinewy like elm. Just hard as rock. The only other trees that are there are poplar. I don't believe osage orange are native here.

I'll admit, I saw a pig head. I'll do something with it and post it here.

Ebay baby, What do have to lose? Put a price or best offer you never know. make sure you put no shipping or use U ship

Status
Not open for further replies.