Splitter build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am building a splitter conveyor combo and I need some help on the hydrualic requirements. I have an 11 HP Honda hydrualic unit that was used to power a car trailer. It has, what I believe, is a 16 GPM single stage pump. I know I should change this out to a two stage. I have a 4 1/2" x 24 cylinder and a Char-Lynn 101-1033 hydraulic motor that I plan to power the conveyor with. The conveyor will be bely driven via a pulley on the hydraulic motor figuring that if a chunk of wood got hung up I'd rather the belt slip vs. self destructing. I would also like to add a small cylinder to position an adjustable 4 way wedge.

I'm wondering the following:
1. What size 2 stage pump should I get
2. How to plumb all of it. Do I run through the hydraulic motor first, then to my valves? The conveyor will of course be turning all the time, but the other two valves would never be operating at the same time.

Help please?

Thanks!

No practical experience here, but I'd use power-beyond for the conveyor. This would mean your belt stop when operating the cylinder.

No practical experience here, but I'd use power-beyond for the conveyor. This would mean your belt stop when operating the cylinder.
What Mac said,with an 11 HP you could use a 22 GPM pump. The only problem I could see that could possibly be trouble is if the motor could make the pump go in then hi-pressure mode,I don't think it would but could this might make the piston on the splitter go slower.??? I have run a conveyer with a power steering pump and an old lawn mower motor worked fine except hard to start in real cold weather needed to heat up oil after starting the first time no trouble.This would give you a portable
conveyer to use anywhere. My two cents worth.

Run the conveyor with a power beyond valve that can lock in one direction but can be reversed. A log getting stuck in a conveyor is no fun. The ability to simply reverse the drive direction can make it a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.