Splitter decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

illenema

Apr 22, 2015
Las vegas nv
What do you think.
I buy my wood "seasoned" from a local dealer already split into large pieces.
I just rented a 27 ton speeco spltter with a honda 240 engine that purred. Was offered to purchase for 1100, In Excellent cond, no leaks. (Had some Large rounds to split)
(2250 new)
I can get a 22 ton Dirty Hands New with a Kohler 6.5 Hp engine for 1000.
I dont need a 20 ton splitter but still enjoy them as they just overpower anything I split and in the end are much safer to operate
Which one

I split all of my wood in large splits for drying. Then if I need smaller splits my $250 lil 4 ton electric splitter does a great job making smaller ones out of big ones.

I split all of my wood in large splits for drying. Then if I need smaller splits my $250 lil 4 ton electric splitter does a great job making smaller ones out of big ones.
yes I now have a 4 ton that gets about 75% but after using that 28 ton...

Yeah. The 27 year old 20 ton gets'em ready for the lil 4 ton.

IMG_0145.jpg

What do you think.
I just rented a 27 ton speeco spltter with a honda 240 engine that purred. Was offered to purchase for 1100, In Excellent cond, no leaks. (Had some Large rounds to split)
(2250 new)
I dont need a 20 ton splitter but still enjoy them as they just overpower anything I split and in the end are much safer to operate
Which one

Is the speeco a full time rental unit? How many hours/years and what's the condition.

Is the speeco a full time rental unit? How many hours/years and what's the condition.

it is a rental from home depot, pry 4 years old minimum rental time runs great

That's a tough decision. I'd put those speeco's up against almost anything. On the other hand people like those dirty hands, though I'm not a fan of the new Kohler's. The one's I've seen are a little less balanced and feel a bit more crude than they should.

Once you go big you'll never go back.

I

Ill be getting one of them

Check everything out closely on the HD one. If it's in great shape, I'd go that way. One other thought, the 22 ton speecos will do anything you want it to, and have plenty of power, as this topic has been talked about a lot before, and most people get the 22 ton and are thrilled with their purchase, so I'd consider getting a new 22 ton when they are on sale. Got mine 3 years ago for 899, with a free log tray, and zero percent financing. Tough to beat new, and they will keep up with the 28 ton much to everyone's surprise, and are a fair amount lighter which makes them easier to move around by hand.

Check everything out closely on the HD one. If it's in great shape, I'd go that way. One other thought, the 22 ton speecos will do anything you want it to, and have plenty of power, as this topic has been talked about a lot before, and most people get the 22 ton and are thrilled with their purchase, so I'd consider getting a new 22 ton when they are on sale. Got mine 3 years ago for 899, with a free log tray, and zero percent financing. Tough to beat new, and they will keep up with the 28 ton much to everyone's surprise, and are a fair amount lighter which makes them easier to move around by hand.

Ya im going to go get that 28 ton speeco. I was going thru 22" rounds and didnt even have to run the engine fast. this is it here https://www.mtadistributors.com/family/571701

The honda 240 is a GX version. Basically an industrial engine. Most folks don't wear out an engine on a splitter, but it goes beyond that. Smooth operation, parts availability, etc. If the Speeco is in as good as shape as you say, and I was looking for a splitter...that is the choice I would make.

I don't have anything against the DHT machines, but I do like the design of the Speeco just a pinch better. Personal opinion.

Thanks for the replies, Well I had the chance to use the speedco, it ran so Good I didnt want to shut it down, I just let it idle. Had a couple of things i forgot and didnt raise the machine off idle and went right thru it.

Thanks for the replies, Well I had the chance to use the speedco, it ran so Good I didnt want to shut it down, I just let it idle. Had a couple of things i forgot and didnt raise the machine off idle and went right thru it.

I'd go with the Speeco for sure, especially with the commercial GX series motor, as long as it's in good shape. That's going to be a hard combo to beat, and should be good for hundreds of cords with proper maintenance.

Speed and Honda motor hands down better quality.

What do you think.
(2250 new)
Which one[/quote

Brought it home!. split.JPG Has tail lights, Plate, fenders.

Reactions: chazcarr and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.