Splitter on seroids

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ

Came across this beast on you tube.

That is a beast but I would trade 25 of those tons for a 13 second cycle time everyday.

Reactions: TreePointer
There is a point of diminishing returns on size. Bigger isn't always better. I would like to try it out for a few hours.
I would think they would mount a 6 way wedge to get some volume out of it.

Serious overkill, good for those ugly gnarly pieces and stumps...
But then again it might be towed behind the guy with the Freightliner modified as a pick up...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Love the Binford Tools reference.

Most definitely overkill but some folks just like big things rather they are needed or not. Our little 20 ton is plenty big enough, is easier to move around, don't need hydraulics to make it vertical and uses a whole lot less gas and oil.

Rather than the hydraulic lift for vertical splitting, why didn't they put a log lift and accompanying table on it?

Reactions: Jags
18 hp gas hog, slow ram even with 28 gpm pump, too heavy to push around by hand. 39" stroke, who cuts wood that long? You'll grow old waiting for that ram to do all that non-productive travel up & down that beam. If you have rounds so massive you need 52 tons to split, how do you get them on that foot? Bend over and grunt? What a waste, the money spent on this machine must have been scary.

Reactions: triptester
yea needs a faster cycle time and at least a 4 way wedge....Then I would be more impressed. It is still a nice piece of equipment.

Rather than the hydraulic lift for vertical splitting, why didn't they put a log lift and accompanying table on it?

The wheels/fenders are in the way for horizontal splitting.
Sure looks nice raising up and down though, no? Shees, thought we'd see some action shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.