Splitter Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My neighbor wants to sell me his old splitter, I was just wondering how much it's worth. He did use it every fall for splitting kindling.

I grabbed this picture off of arboristsite, it's the same splitter.

Thanks
Zap

Attachments

• DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 246
My buddy has one like that, it belonged to his dad and is very old but works good. Only drawback is you have to hold handle all the time to move forward and retract, works better if you have a helper, one person to activate handle and the other to feed. If the price is right go for it :cool:

Well, you have to hold the handle on my splitter too...a safety feature? Around here that splitter in good working order would be $400 range. I wish mine had the wedge like that one instead of on the ram....I would have a table of sorts added to the stationary wedge area to catch the splits and avoid having to bend over to pick them up. It would be nice to have something added to the I-beam so rounds could just be plopped onto it instead of having to balance them.

Reactions: ScotO
Zap, don't you already have a splitter? Are you and the wife going to start a splitting team? ;)

Reactions: ScotO
I agree with MuncyBob.....I'd say around the $400.00 range. I thought you had a splitter, Zappy? Maybe he'd do a firewood fer splitter trade, worth asking.

I would say that $400 sounds fairly reasonable. A new engine is in the neighborhood of $400, then you have everything else.

Like muncy said...weld on a support to each side of the beam to keep the log from rolling off and an out feed table is a sweet thing also. I built an out feed table out of 2x4's and a plywood top. It works great.

$400 max.
I call that style, "Knee pad" splitters.
Low to the ground & to save a sore back, you have to work on your knees.

You need another splitter or just can't resist looking? Thought you had 2 splitters already:oops:

Our neighbor ask me if I was interested over the phone, he just wanted me to have the first shot at it. Yes we have two splitters so we don't need another, I would never pay $400.00 for it.

zap

I was about to ask why you'd want 3 splitters zap. Can you imagine someone with a bad back trying to use that thing?

Damn thing hurts my back (and occasionally bad left knee) just looking at it.Swinging that X25 for 2-3 hrs at a time isnt as bad as that would be in 30 minutes.

Our neighbor ask me if I was interested over the phone, he just wanted me to have the first shot at it. Yes we have two splitters so we don't need another, I would never pay $400.00 for it.

zap

I wouldn't pay $400 either, but it amazes me what people around here are getting for used splitters. I gave up on trying to save some $$ buying used last year and bought new at TSC when they went on sale.

If I had two splitters already and had space for another then, I would be a buyer at 175.00.

Looks like my old Didier splitter, mine had an automatic return though, mine would be 25 years old today. They sold them at Sears later on for a while. Met the inventer at his mfg. site, bought it directly from him. Interesting fella.

Ouch - my aching back. Unless you are looking to flip it for cash, I would probably just decline. And in this case, I am not sure that I would feel comfortable in buying it just for that reason. I would probably help him in getting more cash for it, then I am willing to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.