splitter table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firestorm

Jan 17, 2012
pa laurel highlands
Needed a table to catch splits when the splitter is set in horizontal. But didn't want to keep it from being used in the verticle to be able to split rounds too large to lift. So the table had to be easily removed. This is what I came up with. The weight of the table locks it in place inside the H beam, it lifts up and out and not interfere with the ram. Used odd and end pieces that were laying around the shop.

Attachments

• splitter2.JPG
    splitter2.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 288
  • splitter3.JPG
    splitter3.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 285
  • splitter4.JPG
    splitter4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 273
  • splitter6.JPG
    splitter6.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 267
That's an ingenious design.
I added a piece of up right angle iron to my factory made table to prevent splits from vibrating off the end.

Last edited:
Great looking design and work. We have the same splitter. I've been looking for a wood table for my H beam. The ones I've found won't work. I think you could sell a few of those, I'm interested.

Thank you both for the kind words. Funny you should mention wood vibrating off. This splitter came with a Briggs engine and it vibrated something terrible. The little fenders cracked apart, and most everything else. When it ran the whole machine 'sung'. I repowered with a Honda power plant and in the process found the motor shaft to pump (love joy) badly worn and came to the conclusion that it wasn't so much the Briggs as it was the mount for the pump. It had a three bolt design that I don't think was beefy enough. The Honda is much quieter and vitually no vibration, but I also replaced the pump mount as well.
As far as reproducing the table, its something I would have to think about. I did use it most of the day yesterday and it worked great.

Clean design. I like it. Maybe consider a small lip at the edge farthest from the beam as an anti roll edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.