Splitter time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dannynelson77 said:
The end result was closer to 4 cords but it took us about 6 hours to do it. That was split and stacked though. 2 people. i dont think this design would be any faster than a 4 way, but the splits it does produce are just PERFECT! and with the block shape they stack very nicely. Very impressed.

How did that wedge do with rounds that weren't straight? Did it ever jam?

webie said:
Timberwolfs are great splitters , This timberwolf was designed for the guys doing campfire wood .

How often do you switch between 2, 4 and 6 way?

jp savage said:
That splitter has 25 tons of splitting force. I am building one right now and I am robbing ideas from Timber Wolf, and Northern Tools 40 ton splitter. How big in diameter of logs did you run through it?

Actually it has 28 tons of splitting force. I ran a few 30 in diameter logs through it. It was no problem for that splitter. Very powerful.

SolarAndWood said:
dannynelson77 said:
The end result was closer to 4 cords but it took us about 6 hours to do it. That was split and stacked though. 2 people. i dont think this design would be any faster than a 4 way, but the splits it does produce are just PERFECT! and with the block shape they stack very nicely. Very impressed.

How did that wedge do with rounds that weren't straight? Did it ever jam?

It did great! You just had to lay the log down on the right side. After using it for a few minutes you got the hang of it and knew how to approach the not so straight logs. There was only one log that was cut so weird that it just kept riding up and over the wedge. It never jammed though. There were times when I thought it was going to but it impressed me every time. I must have said WOW at least 50 times that day. She was a BEAST!

SolarAndWood said:
webie said:
Timberwolfs are great splitters , This timberwolf was designed for the guys doing campfire wood .

How often do you switch between 2, 4 and 6 way?

I can count on one hand how often I have used the 2 way wedge . That be once . For my self I just about only use the 6 way wedge unless the wood has a bad crotch in it then I use the 4 way . The reason is not that the splitter gets stuck its because the pieces you get out of the six way are so ripped up you cant hardly pile them . Honestly the 6 way works great with some fairly decent wood .

Status
Not open for further replies.