Splitter Weld Fail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shanenest

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
MA
The weld failed on my ram splitter. Do you guys think its worth trying to fix or time to look for another?

IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0947.JPG

Looks like the metal failed, no the weld. That's still intact :)
The answer to this question depends on another question. Do you want a new splitter and can you afford it? If so, tell the wife it exploded and sorry, no way to fix it. It's dead forever!

If not, pay a fella $10.00 and he'll weld it right up, possibly with some supporting steel (that's what I'd do) and keep on splittin.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Sure I would get someone who know how to weld and have at it. Plenty of room to plate it up on both sides to spread out the load as the underlying metal tube isn't very thick.

If you got X years out of it and its doing what you want, its worth fixing and getting another Y years.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
If everything thing else is in good shape I would just get it welded unless you just want a shiny new toy. It may cost a bit more than $10 @ a welding/fabrication shop but much cheaper than a new splitter.

I agree i would have it plated and welded. It will certainly cost more than $10. But like said above way less than a new splitter.

Looks very fixable. I wouldn't be afraid to fix it and put it back to work.

From this view, IMO, 60% of that weld did not have enough penetration.

Attachments

• 230163-aa0044900e761a8e6ec5d840a8a7a6e6.jpg
    230163-aa0044900e761a8e6ec5d840a8a7a6e6.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Capture+_2018-10-01-19-58-34.png
    Capture+_2018-10-01-19-58-34.png
    617.9 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: JimBear
From this view, IMO, 60% of that weld did not have enough penetration.
You could be right i thought it looked like the metsl broke next to the weld.

You could be right i thought it looked like the metsl broke next to the weld.
The 30+% to the right failed, but the portion to the left appears almost perfectly perpendicular to the tubing wall, presumably from a band/circular/ abrasive saw. Plus, that portion of the tubing closest to the cylinder is deteriorated presumably due to rust, further implicating the quality of the weld process.

This smaller portion appears deteriorated due to rust. Edit: or has failed for some time.

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-10-01-20-44-55.png
    Capture+_2018-10-01-20-44-55.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
rust is a sign that there has been a crack for some time. I would cut the end off, square it up and weld it back on. I would also add a 1/4" thick gusset about 6" down the tube and wrap it around the end to beef it up.