Splitting for a Garn, what are 6 " Splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
I have heard this size refered to as a good size for a Garn. Is this a 6"x6" , a 12" log that is quartered, a 6" log split it two pieces or?

I am just starting to split wood now that I have everything cut to length. I would like to split to optimum size if possible.

George - a 6" split refers to the average diameter of the split. It's not real critical or scientific. 6"x6", 6"x3", 2"x8", it all works. In my experience, I like smaller splits for nice dense hardwood, and larger splits for softwood. Right now I am burning EWP and Hemlock exclusively, and the splits are 6" to 8". With minimal load, the pine still gives me 30+ degrees of temp rise in 60-80 minutes.

Garn. Kicks. Ass.

:lol:

Jim K in PA said:
George - a 6" split refers to the average diameter of the split. It's not real critical or scientific. 6"x6", 6"x3", 2"x8", it all works. In my experience, I like smaller splits for nice dense hardwood, and larger splits for softwood. Right now I am burning EWP and Hemlock exclusively, and the splits are 6" to 8". With minimal load, the pine still gives me 30+ degrees of temp rise in 60-80 minutes.
Garn. Kicks. Ass. :lol:

Thanks Jim, I am just heading out to continue splitting. I want to be finished ahead of the bugs. I can resume plumbing on rainy days.

i am splitting hard maple and yellow birch, a lot are 16-20 inch x 24". I will shoot for 6x6 out of those. The remaining 24 cords in the woodshed are about that size and smaller so that supply should be acceptable next winter. I am glad you mentioned hemlock and WP. I noticed a few WP succumbed to blister rust and i will burn whatever I do not run through the sawmill next year. It should be fine in the summer or shoulder season.

I'm glad to see that you are continually pleased with your Garn set up.

Yep - still very happy with it.

The pine is ideal for milder weather/shoulder season. Heck, it's just fine for colder weather too, you just have to load more of it. The lower density makes it easy to load 8"+ splits of the pine. That's the other reason I like smaller splits of oak and ash. My back is much happier stacking smaller splits ;-)

Sawyer said:
I have heard this size refered to as a good size for a Garn. Is this a 6"x6" , a 12" log that is quartered, a 6" log split it two pieces or?

I am just starting to split wood now that I have everything cut to length. I would like to split to optimum size if possible.

The size of a split is measured at the largest cross sectional dimension.
You will get an eye for it when splitting for me if I can pick up the split with one hand across the end easily it goes in the pile if not I split it some more. You will want some smaller stuff for kindling and I also use some larger chunks for long burns

Thanks Tony, seems like the Garn is no different than any gasser when it comes to firewood size, in fact not much different than what I have been doing for years. If anything it seems that I should avoid the large rounds that an outdoor boiler would love to eat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.