Splitting the Splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the top down method . . . the reason being it works for me . . . basically I load the stove up with the wood and kindling on top (I don't do the bow ties . . . just crumple up some newspaper . . . maybe stick a piece of cardboard on top for good measure), light it up and viola . . . fire . . . I like not having to fuss with the fire for several hours once the fire is established . . . no reaching in to add more wood and worrying about the whole kit and caboodle crashing down and suffocating the fire.

That said . . . I say . . . experiment and see what works for you. TeePee Method, GottaPee Method, Log Cabin Design, UpTaCamp Design, Top Down Method or Just Right Sideways Method . . . as long as you end up with a decent fire and don't burn the house down . . . then go with what works for you.

As for starting a fire . . . I am cheap . . . I'll admit it . . . never did find my two free SuperCedars to try, burned some left over starter logs but wasn't all that impressed with them . . . these days I just use kindling or scrap wood . . . heck, my wife who is infinitely more patient than me often just tosses a few small splits on the coals in the morning and waits for them to catch . . . as I said . . . I'm a guy and have no patience to wait much longer than 5 minutes so I tend to stick with my kindling which I split up from some softwood, slabs or cedar. Again . . . go with what works for you . . . I don't judge . . . if you want to go all old school and use two sticks or flint and steel and only all natural kindling . . . or if you want to stick a blow torch into your stove to get it going and use high tech fire starters . . . as long as you get a fire and don't burn the house down in the process it's all good.

I usually build my fires (whether it be a stove fire, campfire, chimenea fire, etc...) with some newspaper/phonebook paper between 2 big splits & several layers of kindling (just normal firewood split to kindling size- not really into that manufactured/store-bought kindling like super cedar, etc..) stacked ontop of the splits:

Attachments

• kindling.jpg
    kindling.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 156
That's how I do it too, but the kindling is just splits. Kindling and/or newspaper underneath, and right now using a stash of toilet paper rolls. Leave the door open a smidge for a minute and we're off to the races......most of the time. I keep finding pockets of slightly not so seasoned stuff.
That's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.