splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durantefarm

Jan 7, 2018
Ohio
this is my first year with a wood burning insert . my question is when should i splint wood ? i plan on cutting down trees this month and racking it for years to come . do i cut down trees and split at same time or do i cut logs to size and then wait to split. i know wood will dry faster if its split but it ifs fresh cut won't it be harder to split. I'm going old school and not using a hydraulic splitter . thanks in advance .

Split it ASAP, it makes a big difference in how quickly it dries. I cut it in the woods and split it in the woods so I leave the mess in the woods. If I am running late I may bring the rounds home and then split it when I take it out of the truck. If its birch especially white birch it will rot quickly unless its split.

I agree some varieties do seem to split easier when dry (or frozen) but you are going to be waiting a lot longer for it to dry.

Last edited:
this is my first year with a wood burning insert . my question is when should i splint wood ? i plan on cutting down trees this month and racking it for years to come . do i cut down trees and split at same time or do i cut logs to size and then wait to split. i know wood will dry faster if its split but it ifs fresh cut won't it be harder to split. I'm going old school and not using a hydraulic splitter . thanks in advance .

The answer to this question is always "now" . . . or "sooner rather than later."

Reactions: Durantefarm
Usually asap, but pine I give a couple months for the sap to dry up. When the green bark turns red I split it.

Reactions: Durantefarm