spoted on craigslist. looks dangerous hook up with flexable gas line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darryl123

Dec 12, 2012
central ma
http://worcester.craigslist.org/hsd/3512030169.html
this looks like somthing cobbled together in his garage. flex gas line to hook up?

New to Market- Heat water using an existing P61 Pellet stove. Can fit 38 and 45 stove with slight modification.

This is a heat exchanger plate that replaces the door glass to allow water to be heated water. This heat exchanger fills the alternative energy gap where it's currently cost prohibitive to heat water without purchasing a pellet boiler. This exchanger will heat water by absorbing heat energy 'on the margin' from an existing pellet stove. The pellet stove operates normally producing hot air, while this heat exchanger extends into the fire box to absorb heat energy. This heat energy is then absorbed by a custom copper water jacket located on the outside of the heat exchanger plate. There is no water in the firebox itself. This is a 'bolt in' installation, no holes to drill, no permanent modifications to the stove. Output rated at 15KBTU's/hr. Use stainless steel flex hose (such as NAT GAS flex pipe) to allow door to swing open.

Can be used to heat domestic hot water with additional 'side-arm' heat exchanger w/drain back tank for water heaters, or to add heat to existing water boiler on a return line.

All connections are brazed, heat exchanger can be run dry without damage. 1/2" NPT in and out.

Patent Pending. Made in USA. Item may have improvements to design. Picture is representative of item to shipped. Some assembly required.

Buyer responsible for all liabilities, damages, use, and installation with building codes by licensed professional.

Highly recommend using a Wilo-32 or Taco 009 circulator pump along with a drain back reservoir (vented to atmosphere) such as Alternative Energy Technologies DB-10-10XC. This will allow the heat exchanger in the stove to be isolated from existing systems and allow the stove to run dry and use only when needed via a thermostat controlling the circulator pumps.

NO HOLES TO DRILL! NO PERMANENT MODIFICATIONS!

Change out the door glass with this heat exchanger and heat your domestic hot water, Jacuzzi tub, or boost the temperature of the water returning to your existing boiler - 'on the margin' from your pellet stove.

If you have a solar water heating system, this can be used to supplement your water heating needs while the solar radiation is at it's lowest and still being green! No fossil fuel backup!

15K btu's/hr all day long.

Not recommended to be connected directly into critical applications or to replace primary heating sources.

If a power outage occurs, the pump will shut off and the water will flow in reverse via gravity to the drain back tank and out of the heat exchanger which helps reduce the hazard of producing steam. The copper water jacket can run dry.

Easy to clean!

Extra pictures showing heating exchanger installed in P61 stove. Runs great! Currently installed to heat domestic hot water. Haven't used any oil this season!

Attachments

• heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 262
Very inventive, ... and scary at the same time.
UL-listed ... I guess?
Insurance company blessed this devise .... i guess ?

I think I'll stick with my electric hot water heater.

I'd rather go without hot water than put that conglomeration anywhere inside my house. Based on the pictures that stove isn't burning all that well.

i guess he couldnt see the fire to know how bad the stove was burning. at least he should have done some cleaning before pictures. i will still be paying for oil to heat the water here to.

I considered either wrapping my exhaust with 3/4" copper line or cutting the outer pipe and wrapping the inner and circulating it to the hot water heater and at 140 degrees route it to a coil in the duct on the north end which is always a touch cool. The surface of the outside pipe runs around 185 degrees on high on the 4' vertical. I would love to but I am afraid I would create more headache than I would save in $$ especially if something went sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.