Spray can rubber stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
You know, the one they advertise on TV where they take a screen door and spray it with the rubber and then it floats.....anybody have any experience with this stuff? We have very old metal roofing on our house and I noticed a small section is becoming brittle and was thinking some sort of rubber spray would solve the problem.

That just don't feel right to me. The big worry would be- even if it works, how does it hold up with the sun beating on it?

Could you slap some new metal roofing over the old (or- remove the old?)

I did a small metal roofing job (12x16' shed) and it was actually a snap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I just used a spray rubber from Rustoleum (similar product), to seal up some receptacle boxes set in a concrete block patio wall, in which we were rebar'ing and pouring the cores solid. The original builder should have used exterior red-dot boxes, but used standard Swiss-cheese steel boxes instead. I havent been home yet to see it myself, but I'm told it worked very well at sealing the holes, for the one-day pour. Like Adios, I consider this stuff very temporary. I'd be surprised if it holds up to UV, long term.

I was thinking it could be painted with metal roof fiberous paint?

Time for a new roof. Unless you either replace the roof, or at least patch in some new panels in the rotted area, everything else you do is going to be a temporary bandaid.
To even think anything will adhere to that weathered roof, you would have to clean the surface very, very well. And may cause further damage in the process of cleaning.
Sure you can get something on there to stop or slow down the leaks, but it ain't going to last very long.

My hubby works for a company that makes a very similar rubber in a can product marketed to be used in the same way as that "as seen on TV stuff"
Truth be told, it's pretty much the same chit in the cans sold as vehicle under coating, just a different label on the can. Not really designed for direct sunlight or heat, it will eventually break down so use it as a temp fix as it will work as a water barrier but not forever ;)

If one section is bad thee is likely more. Getting on the roof to spray the bad section may reveal more bad sections. I'm with Hogz ,,, a new roof is in order.
FWIW there is a local company here that offers 50 different spray products (their main business is spray insulation) and one of them I've been told is a rubber roof over product that sticks to anything. Haven't seen it applied anywhere but told it's a fast repair solution.

I don't know your roof situation, but we have parts of the roof that is pitched and some areas that are flatter, with very minimal pitch. We recieved quotes for a new roof, but I couldn't see (or afford) the tens of thousands they were asking. I did some research and found that EPDM (rubber roofing) wasn't just cheaper, it was easy to install, and has been known to last 50+years. It cost a fraction of a new roof. If you dont have any serious rotting going on, or any structural damage, research epdm. Heres a link below to get you started......

http://www.weatherbondroofing.com/

I'm actually looking for a temp solution as I'm sure the roof will need some repairs or possible replacement in a few years, it's just not on the immediate project list. There are no leaks right now and for the most part the roof is in decent shape(very old standing seam roof). Lee, I would be interested in that company's info.

Even as a temporary measure, you'd be better off using a roof tar material by the gallon, like BlackJack or something. Those spray cans cost too much for a very little amount and probably won't adhere well enough for water anyway.

I tried something similar once for a gutter that was leaking in one spot as a temporary. It wasn't even temporary. It leaked again the first rain.

Roofing cement (Muck) will separate when the metal heats & cools, expanding & contracting.
If you do use it, get the 5 gallon bucket and make sure it is not the crap with vinyl in it.
The other must is fabric mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.