1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Spray foam gun recommendation

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by semipro, Oct 14, 2011.

1. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a gun for use on canned insulation foam and I'm really glad I did. http://www.amazon.com/Dow-Chemical-230409-Great-Applicator/dp/B0002YOMJE

I've had been using Great Stuff in a can that has the plastic applicator straw to seal up some cantilevers (overhangs) on my house; what a pain! Because its hard to control the flow of the foam from these cans you end up wasting a lot and have it fall down on you while you're working. Also, once you open one of these cans you have to use it up that day.

Using the gun with the screw on cans of foam gives you much more control and you don't end up wasting near as much foam. Though the screw on cans cost more I'm pretty sure it cost me less in the end as much more of the foam went where I wanted it. Also, as long as you leave an open can on the gun you can store it partially full and use it over a month or so.

I've got a lot more foaming to do as I insulate my basement and do other weatherization work. I'm actually kind of looking forward to doing the spray foam work now.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Make sure you also buy the cans of gun cleaner. I would also not recommend letting an open can sit on that gun for a month. I have a few of them and after two weeks, the foam can harden inside the gun and pretty much ruin it. Ask me how I know this ;-)
  3. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Thanks. I've heard this from several others now also. It must be a common issue.
  4. jdinspector

jdinspector Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern IL
    try tiger foam. www.tigerfoam.com. It's a DIY setup that you can purchase yourself. Several extra spray guns for future use.
  5. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I'm familiar with Tiger Foam. I recently did a comparison of the cost of foam goods per volume, whether spray or board. The DIY foaming kits like Tiger Foam turn out to be real expensive with only the small one-use cans coming in more expensive, and not by much. I figured since the cost was so similar that I would be better off using the small cans for the smaller projects I'm doing now. The larger projects, like sealing all the skirt areas will probably be done using a combination of foam board and small can foam since that the most cost effective setup.
  6. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    An update.

I'm amazed how far a can of this foam goes compared to the one-use cans.

- I've just used up my 1st can of foam as I've been traveling a lot and not doing as much work on the house.
    - I have not needed to clean the gun other than wiping off the tip after each use. I've probably used it on 10 different applications/dates now.
    - I can honestly say that I enjoy using this gun, something I could never say about the single-use cans.
    - One of the best features is that once you release the trigger nothing else comes out. The flow stops instantly.
    - I'm very happy I bought the dispenser and urge others to consider it your usage requires it.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. oldspark

oldspark Guest

How much do you have to do to make it worth buying the gun do you think?
  8. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Well if you look at it from a strictly monetary standpoint I'd guess 10 cans of single use foam. It depends on how you're using it though. If you're just filing large voids the payoff would take much longer than if you were doing a bunch of seams where control is needed. That's a total guess though.

Knowing what I know now though, I wish I'd have done it long ago regardless of cost effectiveness. The avoidance of the frustration of wearing polyurethane around in my hair and clothes and not having to "strategize" for every foam application is worth it to me.
  9. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Yea I could use it for others in the family also, sounds like it is well worth it. Make a good christmas present, foam some ones house for them, "its the gift that keeps on giving." (quote from Eddie in Christmas Vacation the best Christmas movie of all time IMHO) :lol: