spray foam on storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for wanting to use the spray foam is because I thought that the critters wouldn't feel any heat from the tank and not burrow into it. I already have a shed around it with foam board and bubble wrap, not insulating very well though. My thinking was either cellulose or spray foam. Cellulose will be about 200$ and spray foam 450$ for 4". The cellulose would need a very air tight and water tight enclosure (more money) where the spray foam would be more forgiving. I am still unsure which way to go as the cellulose will be alot of work to try to make no air movement in a box outside, where as the foam is sprayed and your done.

sootsucka said:
The reason for wanting to use the spray foam is because I thought that the critters wouldn't feel any heat from the tank and not burrow into it. I already have a shed around it with foam board and bubble wrap, not insulating very well though. My thinking was either cellulose or spray foam. Cellulose will be about 200$ and spray foam 450$ for 4". The cellulose would need a very air tight and water tight enclosure (more money) where the spray foam would be more forgiving. I am still unsure which way to go as the cellulose will be alot of work to try to make no air movement in a box outside, where as the foam is sprayed and your done.

I went with cellulose as I was doing 4 tanks. If I was doing it again I would go with spray foam for the reasons mentioned above. My tanks are in the middle of a pole building so I'm not worried about the weather but if I had gone with foam, I would have used a much smaller footprint for the tanks. Plus I've had to deal with settling of the cellous as I stood the tanks on end. I'm happy with my set-up the way it is but in the long run, foam would have been allot easier and allot less dusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.