Spread Sheet??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eatonpcat

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2011
Eaton Township, Ohio
Have any of you guys created a spread sheet to tally how many bags/brands of pellets you use?? I have been keeping track, but as usual have been way to lazy to create a spread sheet. If you have, are you willing to share?? If not I will put one togther at some point and share!!
Thanks in advance.

I hate keeping track of things. Life's too short to spend
doing that. Too bad these stoves didn't come with
a counter thingy every time ya tossed a bag in
that'd be sweet.

I have anal retentive spreadsheets of my oil, then after the conversion, propane usage,
but for some reason my pellet tracking has been just been tally marks on the upright 2x4
of the shelf next to the pellet stack.

My sig lags a bit behind the 2x4.

I have a calender designated to my pellet stoves and i record how many bags each stove uses(and what type of pellet), the day the stove is cleaned and the temp each day.

Just for the heck of it!

I keep tally/hash marks on a piece of paper thats taped on my Pellet Sifter. I also save all the bags till the end of the season. My Township doesnt have regular recycling pick-up. Save them till our recycling days.

Count is always off a little. Always forget a bag here and there. Plus every bag that goes in the Shop stove normally gets forgotten about.

Yes. But after setting-up the computer and parameters, it came out looking strangely like a scrap of paper with hash marks on it with the month listed there, and total after each month:

Attachments

• Pellet use %22Spread sheet%22.jpg
    Pellet use %22Spread sheet%22.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 658
I keep a rough count just for the hell of it. Coming up on 60 bags, just over 1 ton so far.

I have a calendar by the stove, mark how many bags of what, and cleanings.

hossthehermit said:
I have a calendar by the stove, mark how many bags of what, and cleanings.

thats what I was doing last year but ended up loosing track.

imacman said:
Yes. But after setting-up the computer and parameters, it came out looking strangely like a scrap of paper with hash marks on it with the month listed there, and total after each month:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thats pretty d#m good.LoL

I just save the bags. Count them at the end of the season. Hug them (its a pig thing) and send them to the recycle center.

Unfortunately I do have a spreadsheet. Not being all that proficient in Excel, it's pretty basic, but I know how much I pay per month, per bag, yearly totals, etc. I'm on my 3rd year with it.

2011-2012 Heating Season
Date Beg. Inventory Purchases End Inventory Usage Purchase Cost Tons Used Usage Cost Ave Price/Bag Heating Cost/Month
10/1/2011 40 40 0 $165.44 1.66 $4.11
10/16/2011 14 54 $56.16
10/21/2011 50 104 $202.00
10/31/2011 92 12 $49.29 Oct.
11/4/2011 5 97 $18.81
11/18/2011 15 112 $56.43
11/20/2011 15 127 $56.43
12/1/2011 103 24
12/2/2011 6 109 $26.16
12/11/2011 2 111 $8.72 $98.58 Nov.
1/1/2012 64 47
1/7/2012 50 114 $219.00 $193.05 Dec.

$0.00 Jan.

$0.00 Feb.
$0.00 Mar.
$0.00 Apr.
$0.00

Totals 157 83 $809.15 $340.91

It got a little distorted in the transfer, but it gives you an idea.

I actually have a spreadsheet that is pretty rough right now so would need a bunch of refining before I would pass it on. I have put propane usage on it since 2005. I use degree days to calculate propane usage, cost etc. Now keep track of pellet usage to compare cost. I use degree days to try to get an apple to apple comparison. Prelim data tells me I will save about $1000 - $1200 in heating cost now that I have the pellet stove. So basically it is a 4 year payback for my Harman.

I use a notepad app on my phone and note the date and am/pm whever I open a bag.

2011/2012 Bags of Pellets Used
Maines Choice 50 14
Somerset 36 26
Blazers 73 28
Maine Woods 50 44
Vermont Woods 50 3
Green Supreme 6 6
Curran Blend 3 3
Fireside Ultra 4 4
Wood Fibers Inc 1 1
Total: 273 129

Brand Heat 1/High Fan Lbs/Hr Low Bags before cleaning
Maines Choice 6
Maine Woods 175 2.2 6
Somerset 195 2.6 14
Blazers 2.7 20+
Vermont Woods 2.6
Stove Chow
Turmans
Comfort
PWI
NEWP 2.6 6
Okies
Fireside Ultra 2.6 6
Green Teams
LG's
Spruce Pointe
Curran Blend 3.2
Wood Fibers Inc 2.6
Avg on low 2.642857143

kmapsrule said:
My sig lags a bit behind the 2x4.

Haha... same here. No 2x4 though.

I keep the empty bags in a stack, update my sig when I think of it, and then count the empty bags before putting them away or tossing them at the end of each month.

Dunno what I'm gonna do to keep track of year to year though... it will get too long for the sig eventually. Spreadsheet it will be, I'm sure.

My first thought is why would you....My second thought is that any one who does either works for the gov'mt or has way to much time on thier hands. I just buy'em and burn'em. When the pile inside gets low I go out and bring in more.

[quote author="dave1959" date="1326488168"]My first thought is why would you....My second thought is that any one who does either works for the gov'mt or has way to much time on thier hands. I just buy'em and burn'em. When the pile inside gets low I go out and bring in more.[/quote]

Brilliant...Must have been pretty cool riding that short yellow bus to school everyday!!!

Don't work for the gov't...

I use the same system as "imacman", but then I transfer it to a monthly spreadsheet. If you want a copy just let me know.

Tom C.

Every pellet purchase I've made has been with a checkbook. When I write the check I include: brand and qty in the register. So it has been a simple matter of reviewing the check register and making a summary. Since I stock my sheds in one ton groupings it's easy to see on hand inventory as well as figure consumption. Not many sellers of pellets here in this area, so not many different brands... Just crossed two tons usage...in this mild (so far) Jersey winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.