1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Spring/Summer Project

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by thewoodlands, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    As long as that heat can get out so moisture does not build up in there Scotty. I have often wondered if some sheds are too air tight that I have seen. If not good air flow, then good if the wood is seasoned outside and then put in the shed to be burned when the cold weather comes. Are you and ZAP flying back and forth to help each other out on these projects? Or no.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Zap, don't get too hard on the Mrs. for suggesting that the shed be put where you pile the wood now...99 has come up with a few good ideas of her own concerning the cottage.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Lol Gas, I'll have to look into renting a chopper to make that a short trip!

As for it being too airtite, it won't be. I'm going to make sure it has some sort of roof vent.....maybe even a power vent!! ;)
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I like the idea of the roofing material as "doors". Heavy stuff?
    I have zero experience with it.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Its not too bad. Heavier than tarps, but not really heavy. I think I'm going to figure out a "roll up" blind kind of contraption, at least for the wood bays on the shed. That way I can roll them up when I want them up and pull them down when I want them down.....
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not too heavy? Ha! I've lifted that stuff. ;lol
  7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

S.O.'s job is much bigger and nicer.
  8. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Zap better add another bay I'm moving in with the keg ;) ..

Ray
    ScotO, Shane N and zap like this.
  9. thewoodlands

We put the kegs in that nice cold brook! :cool:
    raybonz, ScotO and Shane N like this.
  10. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Exactly what I was thinking.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I doubt that Zappy.....I can't wait to see your project get underway. That will give me some inspiration to start mine.
    I'm just hoping my shed turns out half as nice as blue2ndaries' shed.....that's one damm fine woodshed!
    Blue2ndaries likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

The worst part will be moving all the stacked wood. I think blue2ndaries went with 4 x 6 post which knocks the cost down some.
  13. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I think 4x6" would be OK.....I was just thinking of all the snow you get up there where you are at.
    I'm gonna do the 6x6 for my posts, gotta stick to my namesake (overkill).....;lol;)
  14. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    I don't think that would be overkill actually. I considered 6x6, but we get so little snow here. Can't even count on it annually, maybe every 2-3 yrs we get something significant and even then I think (hope) with the slope it would slide off the metal roof. I felt OK w/3 rows of 4x6, e.g. every 8ft x 6ft having a post.
    ScotO likes this.
  15. Blue2ndaries

Loc:
    Oregon
    Hey Scotty, I had originally thought I would need "Curtains" in the front of my shed to keep the rain off the stacks. I used them for a month or two but decided that the wood would be OK w/o it. Haven't used them since.

Shed4.jpg
    raybonz, ScotO and fishingpol like this.
  16. Blue2ndaries

Loc:
    Oregon
    Zap, I actually had thought thru what it would take to make the shed easily "disassembleable", e.g. bolting it together vs. nails, and using the piers instead of sonotubes. No permits req'd here, but just wanted the ability to take it apart and move it if ever necessary. One thing I didn't mention in our PM, using the piers did make it a little easier to square up the layout of the posts (measuring the diags). I could just move and tweak the piers on the gravel before setting each in 80lbs of concrete. With the tubes, I would have had to be more to spot on and quickly measure the squareness of the anchors before setting them in.
    zap likes this.
  17. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I built mine around my wood and it was a PIA and had to do some things that were less than ideal..

Ray
    zap likes this.
  18. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I get big winds Nor' Easters here and I need the tarps. I wouldn't have them if I had no wind.. Nice shelter BTW :)

Ray
    Blue2ndaries likes this.