Spruce and fur trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersurvey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2015
New Jersey
I have lots of spruce and fur trees that were originally planted for Christmas tree sales that are now overgrown. I was always under the misconception that they should not be burned as firewood. Realizing from reading other posts that it is perfectly fine to burn. Are there any evergreen trees that I should stay away from? Can I burn cedar? How long do evergreens take to cure?
Thanks

Most people use Cedar for kindling, but you can use it as regular cord wood as well. 8 - 12 months drying time on any of the soft woods is generally adequate.

All wood is good wood . . . once seasoned.

Best bet for most softwoods on the east coast though is for kindling or using during the shoulder season . . . simply due to the fact that as a rule it doesn't tend to burn as long as hardwoods.

I have lots of spruce and fur trees that were originally planted for Christmas tree sales that are now overgrown
Sounds like you have quite a good supply. How big are these trees at the butt? Cedar is low btu but as others have said is good for kindling. Spruce is pretty low to but good if you are around to refill the stove during the day. When I lived in Whistler I had huge amounts of cedar to burn. I would use it for kindling but would also add big slabs of it to the stove. The fir has higher btus than most coniferous trees other than larch. I would use the fir for when you need longer burns. If you keep them in the round they will have a hard time being below 20% in one season unless they are cut in half so its better to split them. Many will tell you that these species will dry well in a season and they are right but you will need to get them c,s,s off the ground and top covered right away so they can be primo come next fall. firefighterjake is correct but if you don't have access to dry hardwoods this will be an awesome score for you. Perhaps start putting up some nice hardwood and give it the time it needs and utilize the great resource you have in the meantime. Either way coniferous firewood burns hot and will heat your home like you wouldn't believe so keep an eye on your air supply! Pictures would be great....

I've never burned fur but I've burned fir and spruce . They both burn a little longer than eastern white pine.
I have burned cedar . What we call cedar here is either Atlantic white cedar which has foliage like arborvitae and I'm fairly certain is actually a cyprus or field junipers and they both burn but pretty much the same as eastern white pine. Even yard yews burn fairly well if you have the patience to try to make firewood out of the pitiful crooked gnarly branches and season them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. From what I gather, almost any wood is fine to burn as long as it's dry. I'll get some pictures of the Christmas tree wood lot when I run up fot the holiday tree.

Reactions: Seanm
I would not burn the fur tree wood. Instead, use the fur for earmuffs, collars, or a winter coat. But I would burn fir tree wood. All wood is good wood. Couldn't help getting a chuckle from the typo in your post. :)

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.