spruce ready in 8 months?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I have about 3/4 cord of norway spruce stacked last march. Checked it with the mm and it read 12%. I think I have the wrong type of mm. Anyway I burned 1 split and it took off normally and burned cleanly. Is that possible?

Pic is of my mm, a contractor left it at my house during a quote.

Attachments

• 20131121_075308.jpg
    20131121_075308.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 124
I've got to learn my coniferous species. Until this year, anything with sap or needles was deemed pine. I got a free load of 1.5 cords of "pine" from my neighbor, a tree guy in April.

It was split and stacked around May 1st. My moisture meter is reading in the mid teens on small/medium splits. Upper teens on larger splits. Maybe 20-22 on some of the real large and/or funky ones.

I plan to burn it this year and save my red oak for next year to let it season another year. My oak is 18-24% and would really benefit another year.

BURN IT!

Reactions: Oldhippie
I am burning 90% Black spruce, not sure how similar the 2 types are. However, yes, 8 Months is perfect for spruce. I am getting over 8 hour burns with nothing but. Cut last winter and split and stacked by the end of march.

It could be ok. How are you checking the moisture? On the end grain or on a freshly exposed, resplit face of the wood?

I have about 3/4 cord of norway spruce stacked last march. Checked it with the mm and it read 12%. I think I have the wrong type of mm. Anyway I burned 1 split and it took off normally and burned cleanly. Is that possible?

according to the item description, this should work for wood, but 12% for the spruce?

The Protimeter Mini can be used for making rapid moisture assessments in a wide range of building materials including wood, masonry, drywall, plaster and concrete. The instrument measuring pins are small and sharp which means measurements can be taken at the surface with virtually no mark left behind.

The numerical values represent the actual percent moisture content of wood (%MC) and the wood moisture equivalent (WME) of other materials. The Protimeter Mini can be used to determine if the fabric of a building is in a dry, borderline or damp condition.

It could be ok. How are you checking the moisture? On the end grain or on a freshly exposed, resplit face of the wood?

i tried both, didn't get a chance to resplit, i'll do that. I did check an oak split from this weekend and it read 14%, although it was difficult to get the pins in very far, oak IS hard wood.

You'll need to test on the freshly split face to get an accurate reading. Hopefully it is still below 20% and you are good to go. If this is for the Jotul it should be fine. That is a pre-EPA stove and not as fussy about very dry wood. The Morso will be 'more so'.

Last edited:
i tried both, didn't get a chance to resplit, i'll do that.

Yes, do it. The ends or exposed sides will always be dry after a short time but what counts is the inner moisture. Resplit it lengthwise in half and measure the center of the new surface, pins along the grain is best.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's a very expensive pro meter that's supposed to be accurate up to 28% MC and is calibrated for wood. If you use it on a freshly split face, it should be a good meter.

Spruce could very well be fine after 8 months, although 12% seems unlikely.

Edit: At first, I read that it was accurate up to 90% but it looks like it only goes to 28% accurately for wood, so it's use may be limited for firewood.

http://www.ge-mcs.com/download/moisture-humidity/Mini-BLD2000-Ins.pdf

Last edited:
If it's split and sat in the sun and wind I've had spruce dry pretty quickly.

. Checked it with the mm and it read 12%. I think I have the wrong type of mm.

Just curious...Are ya gonna return the MM to the rightful owner? ;) :)

Just curious...Are ya gonna return the MM to the rightful owner? ;) :)

that was 6 years ago, he never did any work for us. i wouldn't know how to find him if i tried. i'm tempted to sell it and buy a HF model. what do they say about losers...:p

So, a freshly split piece measured 22%. Oak is too tough to get the probe in. Maybe that tells me its ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.