SS Exterior Chimney - Anyone Got Experience w/One???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I signed some papers today and after a looooong wait, my new addition starts on Monday - Yippie!

The basement of this new addition is going to serve as a large den/great room and that's where the mighty Englander 30 will be installed.

But first, I need a chimney. I want to use a double wall SS through the wall chimney kit/install. For now, this chimney will not have an exterior chase - that will come later.

Question is - anything I need to be on the look-out for when buying a SS exterior chimney? I kind of like the looks of the Simpson Duravent 9088 chimney kit, but would consider others too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

My advice would be to go straight up instead of through the wall. It will work better and could cost less.

BeGreen said:
My advice would be to go straight up instead of through the wall. It will work better and could cost less.

I hear you on the straight through the roof, but for this install I want a through the wall chimney.

Thanks!
Bill

No real advice . . . I went with ICC Excel pipe with an out and up install . . . not in the basement, but on the first floor . . . honestly it's worked out great . . . easy to clean out, no problems with the draft in the winter and it stays clean . . . and I have plenty of heat in the home . . . added benefit is with the T-connector installed cleaning from the bottom up is a 5-15 minute job with no worries of falling off the roof.

I used Selkirk pipe from Menard's. Filled in a basement window, into a tee and up. It stays pretty clean, even with my smoke dragon furnace. The only time I have a draft issue is from a stone cold start in the shoulder seasons, but lighting a loose piece of newspaper takes care of that.

I install Dura Tech and Ventis brands and they both work well. If it's an external chimney which will be exposed I would stay away from Dura Plus. It's mostly air cooled and isn't the best choice.

Can you afford the added expense of "Triple" wall now? Or are you dead set on building the chase for added insulation? I have the triple wall Simpson. Pretty good layer of insulation from 1st wall and 2nd wall, then a large area of "Air" insulation before the 3rd wall (Outer).

You can see some insulation sticking out on the edge. Good luck with the install. I have yet to "Blow" a hole in my wall yet. I know where its going, but just have not done it yet. I actually thought about hiring someone to do it. Being Triple wall 6" its pretty big in diameter. So the Thimble hole is Very Large..... Closer we get to September, the quicker I will get on it. Still busy with wood.

Attachments

• Clean Flue. 4-11-2011 6-49-42 PM.jpg
    Clean Flue. 4-11-2011 6-49-42 PM.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 635
Selkirk 6" Metalbestos stainless steel, straight up and out. Draws like daVinci!

Attachments

• Small Copy of DSCF3583.jpg
    Small Copy of DSCF3583.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 653
firefighterjake said:
. . . added benefit is with the T-connector installed cleaning from the bottom up is a 5-15 minute job with no worries of falling off the roof.

This is one of the reasons I am going with through the wall is to be able to clean the chimney from the bottom - or at least give it a quick brush between thorough top down cleaning.

Thanks!
Bill

Wood Heat Stoves said:
The Metalbestos or the Dura Vent both would work well. The main difference is the outside diameter is large on the Dura Vent.

10-4 on the larger diameter of the Dura Vent. That is why I am steering towards the Metalbestos. I like the look of the smaller diameter pipe.

I also considered the Supervent stuff that Lowes sells - or maybe use to sell, but I don't see it on their web site anymore. I got a feeling chimney stuff for woodstoves are on the way out like woodstoves - as far as being an in store stocked item.

I also like the idea of having several vendors that I can get the Metalbestos pipe from rather than locking myself in the Lowes version of it - which I understand is unique to Supervent?

Thanks!
Bill

Just a thought as long as you are building, why not add an alcove for the stove to sit in, that could give you the strait up, and to go all out you could line the alcove with soapstone, just some fanciful thinking.

I'll throw out a different angle. Maybe instead of a steel chimney and chase you might consider a block or brick chimney with a Supaflue poured liner? Might even be a bit cheaper.

I too went with the supervent at menards. less than half the price of other brands on line and supposedly selkirk is a top notch brand just lousy usa standards.

Todd said:
I'll throw out a different angle. Maybe instead of a steel chimney and chase you might consider a block or brick chimney with a Supaflue poured liner? Might even be a bit cheaper.
This route is much more labor intensive and much, much more expensive. It won't really matter what brand you pick, it all is put through extensive testing. The Supervent at menards is ok, it's a bit thinner and will dent if not careful. Your local hearth shop should have a brand they prefer, and have all the components to go with it.

webby3650 said:
Todd said:
This route is much more labor intensive and much, much more expensive. It won't really matter what brand you pick, it all is put through extensive testing. The Supervent at menards is ok, it's a bit thinner and will dent if not careful. Your local hearth shop should have a brand they prefer, and have all the components to go with it.

Maybe, maybe not. He's looking at building a chase later on which will cost extra, if he likes the look of brick he wouldn't need to build a chase. How much is chimney block? Pretty cheap and you could even stick a rigid insulated liner down inside instead of a poured supaflue or clay tile liner. A guy could also paint the block to match the house if he wanted to for go the chase. Might be some other options to look into.

Thanks everyone!

I think I'm going with the Metalbest Ultra Temp chimney due to it's smaller outside diameter. We'll see how this works out. Perphaps later when $$$'s allow, I may do something different, but for now I think it's the Ultra Temp chimney = 6 inch.

Bill

leeave96 said:
Thanks everyone!

I think I'm going with the Metalbest Ultra Temp chimney due to it's smaller outside diameter. We'll see how this works out. Perphaps later when $$$'s allow, I may do something different, but for now I think it's the Ultra Temp chimney = 6 inch.

Bill

I too will be installing my Englander 30 in the basement. I would LOVE to see some pics, when you get to doing it. I have double wall for the inside and the triple wall for the outside. There is a connector that "Mates" the two of them. Its only 1 1/2". Its 3/4" in the double and 3/4" in the Triple. I am thinking I will have to use Stove cement on it. Does not look like it will seal real well. That is the #1 reason, that I want to have a pro install it. Going from double to triple. I have to do it this way to meet clearances. Good luck... Seems like one He!! of a Stove

DexterDay said:
leeave96 said:
Thanks everyone!

Bill

I too will be installing my Englander 30 in the basement. I would LOVE to see some pics, when you get to doing it. I have double wall for the inside and the triple wall for the outside. There is a connector that "Mates" the two of them. Its only 1 1/2". Its 3/4" in the double and 3/4" in the Triple. I am thinking I will have to use Stove cement on it. Does not look like it will seal real well. That is the #1 reason, that I want to have a pro install it. Going from double to triple. I have to do it this way to meet clearances. Good luck... Seems like one He!! of a Stove

After I get the addition in place and the stove installed, I'm going to put on the front burner getting up to speed on posting pics!

I ripped off my enclosed back porch today in prep for the guys coming on monday. I'm pretty good at tearing things up/down vs building something. I've got a bit more to do tomorrow, but will have it out of the way quickly.

BTW, I think you need to add a Stihl to your saw collection.... ;)

Bill

leeave96 said:
DexterDay said:
leeave96 said:
Thanks everyone!

Bill

After I get the addition in place and the stove installed, I'm going to put on the front burner getting up to speed on posting pics!

I ripped off my enclosed back porch today in prep for the guys coming on monday. I'm pretty good at tearing things up/down vs building something. I've got a bit more to do tomorrow, but will have it out of the way quickly.

BTW, I think you need to add a Stihl to your saw collection.... ;)

Bill

Been looking to get a BIG 70cc Pro Saw. My Brother-in-Law is looking at buying a 660 this week.. Stihls are nice.. Very Nice........ BUT...... I cant do it. Everyone I know has Husqvarna's.. My one buddy has 2 Stihls, a 029 and a 036. Nice Saws, but our Husky dealer (actually 2 I go to) around here is Great. Was looking at the 346XP. But decided, its a No Go. Too small. My 455 has around the same power ( .2 less HP). Its chain speed is faster than the 346XP. My 2 best bets would be on a 570 or a 372XP. One is a Pro Saw (372XP), the other (570) is not. If you look at the options and compare the 2. The 570 is just as fast as the 372XP(chain speed/Much faster than the 346XP pro saw) and the oil pump can pump Just a little more than the 372XP. I know that having the Pro saw means more, than just more speed and oil. But to justify the $230 more for the 372XP, I don't know if I could do it. The 570 looks like a Heck of a Saw. The 3 Non-Pro Saws I have now, do the trick. The 455 I have is a Great Saw. Hard to beat it, for the average homeowner, thats doing less than 6 cord a year.

This first year, I am gonna try and put up as much wood as possible. Hope to have anywhere from 10-15 cord, before this winter starts (More if possible). Being my 1st year (been a Pellet burner for 3 yrs), I am behind the ball already. I am going to look at 3 cord (About 3 cord) of 2 yr old wood tomorrow morning. The guy quit burning wood 2 yrs ago and is looking to get rid of it. Roughly 21 ft long stack that about 4 ft high, by 5 ft wide. Hoping to get it. That would be my wood for this winter. I only have about a cord and half of Good wood (Had previous and got some from lethaldose on this Forum when I got the Eng 30). The Pine I put up almost 2 months ago, is doing great. Its getting good and light. M/C levels are around 20-30% already. Even some of the Largest splits are getting very light in wieght and dark in color.I just built 2 more wood racks yesterday, and I am putting 2 more together tomorrow. All are in the prevailing wind. Get great sun.

Cheers and Good luck on the install

Bill, I don't remember the brand of SS chimney but we go through the wall and up with ours. We do not have a chase nor do we have intentions of building one. It looks just find and it works just fine.

I know the prevailing thought is you need a chase around a SS chimney when it goes up along side the house. This is the second time we've had an exterior chimney and neither time have we had a chase. If you want one for the looks, that is okay but do not feel you have to have one for the chimney to work. I was concerned with the Fireview being a cat stove and therefore giving lower temperatures in the chimney but that has not proved to be a problem at all.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bill, I don't remember the brand of SS chimney but we go through the wall and up with ours. We do not have a chase nor do we have intentions of building one. It looks just find and it works just fine.

I know the prevailing thought is you need a chase around a SS chimney when it goes up along side the house. This is the second time we've had an exterior chimney and neither time have we had a chase. If you want one for the looks, that is okay but do not feel you have to have one for the chimney to work. I was concerned with the Fireview being a cat stove and therefore giving lower temperatures in the chimney but that has not proved to be a problem at all.

+1 . . . I was going to build a chase for the looks and added insulation, but after running the stove for a season found that a) the added insulation was not needed and b) due to my house lay out you cannot see the chimney from the roadside . . . in fact there is really only one angle you can see it from . . . and that's from my neighbor's house.

OK - so I have a few more questions.

My basement will be poured concrete vs block and I want the guys to put a thimble like hole in the foundation from the get-go. Only concrete will surround this thimble/hole - no combustables.

Having said the above, how does one install this through the wall set-up (using Metalbestos Ultra Temp 6 inch). Reason I ask is that MB sells a wall thimble kit, but it appears to be designed for going through wood framing, with a large square foot print - I gather to keep combustables at a distance. Since I am going through concrete, what I'd like to do is have a round hole - a bit larger diameter than either the stove pipe or chimney pipe.

My question is - how do you adapt this type of chimney set-up without using a thimble kit? How is the wall penetrated - with stove pipe or chimney pipe? What is the OD of the MB 6 inch chimney and what dimension should I give the builder for an opening diameter?

Thanks!
Bill

Update, I ordered a Metalbest through the wall kit product no 206622/ part number 6T-TWK delivered for around $310. Prices for this kit varied up to as much as $725 not including shipping - yikes! It comes with an insulated wall thimble, product no 206463/ part number 6T-IWT - which I don't think I will need since I am going through a non-combustable concrete wall.

Bill

Bill, it won't do any harm to install that kit. Trying to think ahead, you may at some time put in a different stove. I would give the kit to whoever is pouring the basement walls to let them install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.