SS Exterior Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, been thinking about boxing in my SS exterior chimney next summer. Its not that I mind the looks of it, cause it doesnt bother me but I was thinking that it maybe more beneficial in the long run. Anyone tell me if it really would be worth the $$?

It will make your house look better if its done right, and I do believe your chimney will stay cleaner. My sons house we drywalled the inside of the chase, insulation between drywall and exterior siding

If your stove draws fine now, and if your chimney stays pretty clean, and if you have no other performance issues with the existing installation, then there's no compelling reason from that aspect to enclose the chimney in a chase. It's then sort of a cosmetic issue. If you think your house would look enough better if the chase was installed, then go for it. If you choose to build a chase, then build it right...insulate it...your chimney will thank you even more. I know...lots of "if's", sorry. %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.