1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

SS liner and new insert

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by xtffemtu21, Oct 25, 2013.

1. xtffemtu21

xtffemtu21 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey,

I just recently bought my first house that has a stone fireplace with a draft inducer. I currently have a heat pump in the house so, I am installing a buck stove insert. TThe previous owner just installed a new 10 inch stainless steel insulated liner on a 20+ ' chimney and the buck stove I bought has a 6 inch outlet. My question is, will these two different sizes work ok if I attach them with a 6" fireplace insert connector up to the baffle and seal it at the baffle? Tell me the pros and cons please.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Your best bet is to run a 6" liner thru the 10" from the insert to the cap. Without getting into the thermodynamics, it'll just draft better.
  3. xtffemtu21

xtffemtu21 New Member

Loc:
    Dayton, Ohio
    alright, do I have to insulate the 6" through the 10" or can I just drop it and straight through?