SS liner installation!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
My dad had a regency I2400 wood insert installed around 3 years ago in his basement rec room and the stove works great but he seems unhappy with the liner install.The original installers put in a partial liner due to the way the chimney flue is designed.The Chimney has 2 flues!The first floor one is straight up from the fireplace but the one in the basement angles to the right a quarter of the way up making it very hard to put in a full liner.Hes had it cleaned this way and now wants to see if a full liner can be installed so the stove doesn't need to be pulled out for a cleaning.He had one chimney place come out to take a look and they said it could be done but pricey because a hole would have to be made outside where the angle is in order to guide the liner around the bend up to the top.The cost of the brick work over a grand! I don't no the total cost though.Is there any big disadvantages of leaving things alone and forgetting about the full install.I guess that dad seeing that I and my brother both have full liner installs wants one too.

Sounds like the installer wanted to pull the liner UP. I wouldn't do it that way. I'd try to pull it DOWN. That being said, how tall is the chimney? What length of liner is needed to get to the top? What I'm getting at is if the chimney is tall enough (25'+), he may be able to get away with a 5.5 inch liner. It will be easier to get through the chimney. Another option would be to get a small length of liner, maybe a foot long & get the pulling cone & see if you can get THAT through the corbeil....I'd attach a rope to the top & bottom of the cone, so that if it WON'T go down, you can pull it back out....

thanks Daksy! His home is a standard ranch with a walkout basement i would say his chimney is less than 25 ft! more like15 to 20 ft.The original installers who have been around for years and did my install also tried from both ends with a full install and gave up after awhile and went with the partial liner.seems that i remember now them saying that there was some kind of masonery obstruction where the bend is making it just about impossible to put a full liner in.I beleave that this is the reason this new guy says the brick needs to be knocked out in order to get inside to remove what ever is blocking the full liner install.

get a camera down there if you really want to see the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.