SS liner question, opinions needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Gonna reline my 8x8 masonary chimney. Should I use solid liner or flex? solid is smooth inside. Do you have to use thermix insulation or wrap? The liner will only be about 15-20ft. I ask for your great wood burning expertise.

Greybeard said:
Gonna reline my 8x8 masonary chimney. Should I use solid liner or flex? solid is smooth inside. Do you have to use thermix insulation or wrap? The liner will only be about 15-20ft. I ask for your great wood burning expertise.

If you use double wall rigid (Solid) it is insulated from factory between inner & outer skins, no need for further insulation.

While I'm not an expert I'll tell you what I'm doing. I have a 8x8 clay lined flue 25' external chimney. I'm going to buy flex liner with 1/4" insulation wrap. I wasn't sure if I was going to do the insulations but someone on this forum mentioned that due to the fact that I have some cracked tiles I should insulate.

If you are going to to insulate due to structural issues with the chimney 1/4" is not enough, you need 1/2" insulation to make the liner system meet UL 1777.

I think the question of solid -vs- flex comes down to how well you can install the ssolid. I used flex because I have a zig zag in my flue and to install solid would be impossible. Even the installing of the flex was a pain but I got it done and will be starting my second burning season.

my chimney is straght so ridgid should work. Just thought the ridgid will draft better and be easier to clean. I bet the flex is easier to install though.

Status
Not open for further replies.