st. croix prescott fan runs but no pellets and no flashing #'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roachy20

Nov 21, 2011
Shelton, CT
So the stove was working fine yesterday, I turned it off then went to turn it back on today and the fan kicks on when I plug it in but nothing else happens. THe fan continues to blow but the auger is not dropping any pellets. Does the auger motor go just like that? I can turn the auger by hand so I know it's not a jam. Any other ideas?
THanks

Check the 250 degree limit sensor, you may have a manual reset on the sensor. Should be high up on the right side of fire box. If it is not manual reset remove the 2 wires that go to it and connect them together with a jumper. If stove runs it needs to be replaced. Do not run stove with jumper, replace it, this is a safety to prevent overheating. Let us know your results.

If you can turn the auger by hand, it's not connected to the gearbox. Probably the set screw that holds the auger to the gearbox shaft is loose. Can you see the auger motor - is it turning or not?

Yep he is absolutely correct. Tighten that screw making sure the flat side of shaft faces the set screw. Ignore my pervious advice until you check that first. My bad, need to read post better.

I don't know about the Prescott, but my Afton Bay will blink the #2 and #3 lights for an overtemp condition. And yes, it's a manual reset. I don't know if it works, hope not to find out. Someday I gotta pull a wire of the switch to see if the control notices. That doesn't test the switch, but will test the wiring.

The OP didn't specifically mention blinking lights or lack thereof, so I made an ass-umption.

How about the vacuum switch... Is the rubber hose clear?

Remove hose from switch and blow towards the stove?

Maybe?

Lack of vacuum should show #2 light, I think.

The stove should start up and trigger the ignitor... then the proof of fire switch should detect fire after about 5 minutes (150F I think)... that switch will turn on the auger. Look for the auger turning....

Doesn't the auger have to start at the beginning to feed pellets to the pot? Mine feeds for two minutes with the ignitor on for starting, according to the manual.

heat seeker said:
Doesn't the auger have to start at the beginning to feed pellets to the pot? Mine feeds for two minutes with the ignitor on for starting, according to the manual.

The auger on my analog panel Pepin feeds pellets from the git-go. My Greenfield, which is a manual start corn burner (maybe that's the difference) waits for the POF switch to switch on after it senses heat in the exhaust... only then does it feed pellets.

Okay, now I get it. Looks like it's the manual start that makes the difference. It doesn't want to feed pellets unless there's a fire. The auto start units need to feed pellets in order to get a fire going. I believe that mine will shut down if it doesn't see the POF in fifteen minutes, then flashes the #3 light.

I learn things here all the time!

I always restart my pepin with pellets in the firepot... starts faster.

If the pin is not snapped, sounds like someone ran it out of pellets then filled it up without priming it. turn it on and hold the auger button down until it starts dropping pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.