1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

St Croix Revolution newbe

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by gilandjoy, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Thanks,

Forgot to rotate the burn pot.. AND THE DRINK!!!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    The 2 most important parts of the operation. See, told you I'm not just another pretty face. I have a mind.
  3. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    What's everyone doing with their ashes?
  4. hossthehermit

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Dumping them in the ash bucket.When it gets full I'll either dump it in the garden, or on the driveway if it's slippery.
  5. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    We have an trash can just outside the basement door and dump the ashes in there this winter. In the spring we also plan to put in either the garden or on the numerous flower areas my wife has around the house.
  6. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    Thanks, most of the ideas I've heard was in the garden. On the slippery driveway is a new one. Isn't that a little messy?
  7. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    Snowing here now so I tested my idea on running both furnaces. Turned on the forced air while the Revolution was running and boy did I get some warm air in a hurry! They both seemed to work great and it took the temp up real fast! Stood there and stared at the flame in the Rev like a little kid wishing for a new toy. Ran the forced air for a few minutes then shut it off. Seems like this will be the trick for those nasty days to come..........
  8. hossthehermit

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Not really. It's a gravel drive, and quite steep, ash either washes off or goes down into the gravel.
  9. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    My mind was stuck on a concrete drive.......duh
  10. juandigital

juandigital New Member

Loc:
    Flint Michigan
    [​IMG]

Hey guys. I loaded the hopper full of corn today to try burning 100% corn. I can get corn from a local farmer for 190 a ton. I recently just payed 250 a ton for wood pellets. I switched the furnace back to program #1 for the corn and fired her up. It seems to be working fine, although its less heat since I switched to program #1, before I was running #4. Its about 36 degrees outside and 65 inside. We just had a light snowfall.
  11. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    You might try Program #2 and put the heat setting at 4 and see what that does.

Sounds a bit cool in the house.

The above is what I have mine set at for pellets and it is 70 in the house. I am a bit north and a bit colder out today, but the furnace is keeping up.
  12. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    How much of a damper adjustment did you need to make when switching to corn?
  13. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    My dealer here said he would mix corn and pellets together. I can't get corn that cheap here though.
  14. juandigital

juandigital New Member

Loc:
    Flint Michigan
    Thats a good idea maacac, im going to switch to program #2 right now. Its hard for me to get up to 70, it takes forever. My feet are cold and i have socks on! I moved the damper around and waited and watched the fire, ended up putting it back to its normal spot.
  15. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    Can you change the program without it being shutdown and cooled off? Thought I read that in the manual....
  16. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Juan,

This morning with temperatures similar to yours, the house started out at 66 and 7 a.m. By noon, it was 69 and has stayed between 69 and 70 the rest of the day.

I have it on a programable thermostat for cooler at night, but it does take a while to warm back up.
  17. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Revo is right. To change the program to a different setting, you need to wait until the combustion fan goes off which means the furnace is cooled down. The heat settings can be changed while the furnace is on.
  18. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    My situation is identical to yours maacac only, I am on program #3 with heat at #3 also. I seem to use a bag of pellets a day.
  19. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Revo,

On program 2, I am using 1 1/2 to 2 bags a day. How long does yours run during the day right now?
  20. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    Today it was on most the day. When my wife started cooking dinner the oven puts off enough heat to shut down the furnace for awhile. With the snow flying now I'm sure the pellets will go to a couple bags a day.
  21. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Juan,

Did the change to program 2 make a difference is your house temperature?
  22. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    The Fan voltages can be fine-tuned while the furnace is in
    operation by pressing and holding the “Auger Feed” button down
    and then either pressing the “Trim High” button to advance the
    voltages higher, or pressing the “Trim Low” button to decrease the
    fan voltages.
    There are 5 levels on the control board and they are indicated by single
    flash of the LED’s. The default setting is the center LED. This gives 2
    adjustments increasing the voltage (LED’s 4 & 5) and 2 adjustments
    decreasing the voltage. (LED’s 1 & 2) The voltage is increased or
    decreased 2.5 volts with each adjustment.

Does this mean that the blower will put out more ????
  23. juandigital

juandigital New Member

Loc:
    Flint Michigan
    Maacac, yes program 2 did help, thanks. but I can definitely tell the difference between #2 and #4 with pellets. I think im going to have to keep it at a more constant temp with less temperature swings. I have it programmed to cool down during the day and night. I think it can do better just maintaining on pilot instead of varying highs and lows in order to save a few pellets/kernels. Im burning at least 2 bags of pellets a day, maybe 2.5.

Revo, I believe the "fan" they are talking about is the combustion fan, not the supply blower. The combustion fan can be varied due to different vent set ups, longer runs probably will require more draft.
  24. gilandjoy

gilandjoy New Member

Loc:
    ne ohio
    That makes sense....Thanks
    We now have snow and ice all day and 30 temp. will probably go to almost 2 bags for the day.......ouch
  25. maacac

maacac New Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    As my dealer said, everytime you dump a bag of pellets in, you are savings money!! Versus the cost of propane.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.