St. Croix SCF 050 Pot Overflowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question for all of you... Things have been working great on my stove the past several days and i feel i have it dialed in, but last night we had pretty strong winds from the NW and my chimney faces the west unobstructed. I noticed that it wasn't burning as good as it was starting to pile up a bit but not quite overflowing. I cleaned it out last night and started it back up and for the most part been working good but i am thinking it has more to do with the wind dying down vs. the cleaning.. What do others do to prevent this? I have a 45 degree Simpson duravent termination cap and not sure if a different cap or some kind of shield would help prevent this.

Thanks everyone

If you vent into the wind a jet cap usually works better than most termination caps as it makes the wind assist in the job of getting the exhaust where it belongs namely outside the system.

You can also erect a wind break if things are amenable to it such as the vent not being too high and being able to maintain clearances to whatever you use to make the wind break out of.

Venting into the prevailing wind at your location is not a recommended thing to do and is mentioned in the manuals.

If you vent into the wind a jet cap usually works better than most termination caps as it makes the wind assist in the job of getting the exhaust where it belongs namely outside the system.

You can also erect a wind break if things are amenable to it such as the vent not being too high and being able to maintain clearances to whatever you use to make the wind break out of.
Thank you Smokey... where would i be able to find a "Jet Cap" any thoughts? I am guessing online is going to be the best bet.

Too lazy to read through the posts - do you have an OAK?

Thank you Smokey... where would i be able to find a "Jet Cap" any thoughts? I am guessing online is going to be the best bet.

What brand do you use for your venting?

You first need to find someplace that sells that venting and then you can usually ask them to order one for you or if they do a lot of install they may have one in stock.

Here is but one example http://www.stoves-pipes.com/ICC-EXCEL-PELLET-PIPE-ADJUSTABLE-JET-CAP-3-I-D-p/pm3pcj.htm this is one that can be used on my vent if needed..

And here is the duravent pro version on page 15 of the PDF http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L820_PVP_W.pdf

Last edited:
I vent directly into the prevailing winds here, with no problem. The OAK makes the combustion area of the stove independent on the rest of the house. So, if the wind is creating pressure at the vent, it's also creating pressure at the OAK, and the two cancel each other out. At least, that's my take on it. I have no smoking or flame issues no matter what the wind is doing, and we get some pretty stiff winds up here on this hill. Just my 2¢.

The OP should note I use an OAK, however I also am in a fairly sheltered location and the wind has a hard job getting in the right direction to hit the vent, however if it does manage to get in that spot, my OAK would help cancel it out

A jet cap uses the wind against itself and thereby cancels its effects out.

I have a 45 degree Simpson duravent termination cap and not sure if a different cap or some kind of shield would help prevent this.
Maybe ............ far as I know, there's only one way to find out

I would suggest hooking up an oak. Run it out the same side of the house as the exhaust.

As a SCF 050 owner i am curios as to your cleaning schedule... I am hoping after everything is working correctly on my unit to be able to have less hands on time with mine. I have been having to clean / scrape mine every 2-3 days at about a hour to hour and half each time... It just been such a mess and the ashpot was full at that time (thinking this will be better now) so just curios as another owner how often you shut it down to clean it thoroughly.

thank you for your help
First off the cleaning schedule depends on the amount of fly ash created from loosely packed pellets or dirty pellets (loose saw dust) which will clog up a stove with ash quicker. The one thing i learned early on about the scf-50 through a forum and it is not in the manual is proper cleaning. They neglected to tell you to take a rubber mallet or hammer and bang on the back wall above and on both sides of the burning pot. With the two cleanouts on either side and the one behind the ash pan out, bang on the back wall and watch the amount of ash you will get from them. basically your furnace is clogged up and not letting the exhaust out, therefore not letting enough air in through the burn pot and keeping the fire burning hot enough and causing the pot to pile up with pellets and start to smolder causing black soot buildup and even a soft tar substance to form. Hope this helps

Reactions: heat seeker
Status
Not open for further replies.