1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

St Croix switch problem

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bbfarm, Nov 24, 2013.

1. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I haven't seen the problem discussed before. The switch on the front of the control board that changes the setting between smartstat, thermostat and Manuel is loose

I unplugged and took the cover off the control board and looked. I can see where it came loose from but didn't want to force it back on risking breaking the control board

I put the cover back on and just left it on thermostat mode

Today when I turned the thermostat up to 75 degrees with the stove running on level 4 it seemed to back off with the room air fan not blowing as strong and the fire getting really low. I monkeyed around with that switch and it started running well again

Any ideas on how to fix that switch and get it attached to the board again without having to buy a whole new control board?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Stevekng

Stevekng Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    LockTite has a product called "Super Adhesive Gel" I would apply a little to the back of the switch and glue it to the control board, or around the edges of the switch to the control board. Be careful not to bridge any connections or solder points if you do this.The only problem is that if the fan starts acting funny you won't be able to reposition it. You will have to replace the whole board. You would have to do that anyway if it went with out gluing it.
  3. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Just a shot in the dark here - is the switch mounted right on the circuit board? If it is, the solder points may have come undone, which would explain the looseness and the improper operation. You'll probably have to pull the board out of the stove to check it - after you've unplugged the stove, of course. Soldering it back in place should be pretty easy once you're in there. (I'm thinking how my Afton Bay is set up.)

Gluing the switch in place isn't a bad idea, but that won't guarantee the electrical connections - if they are not good now.
  4. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    Yes. I'm thinking the connection is bad.

I was hoping just putting it on the setting we want it on and leaving it would have worked but still having a few hiccups

Solder it. I always forget I have a solder gun