Stack Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob512

Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2007
York PA
How high above the roof can I go that I don't get too much draft. It's a 4inch pipe on the back of a Quad Santa-fe. How high before I need calbe supports also. My Township wants me 24inch above the highest roof line within 10 ft. Thanks, Quick

2' In 10 is a standard clearance. How high does this make your chimney form the roof and how far total from the stove?

that is true for wood stoves.
pellet venting does not apply to the same rules. Duravent pellet pipe states that only a 12" minimum is required. Download the pellet vent manual from www.duravent.com and take it down to your township, assuming you have duravent, if not, download the manual for what ever pipe you have, there all pretty close to the same.

Thanks, Quick

Im not sure about this but I think Ca. requires the 2 in 10 rule for all combustible exhausts. Allthough I didnt have to run my gas water heater vent that high. perhaps it is appliance specific?

manufactures of appliances do trump venting manufacturs, but in the case of quad pellet stoves, they refer you to the vent manufactures specs. the 2/10 rule is to prevent downdrafts, and pellet stoves are a positive draft appliance, which is why the rule doesnt apply.

here is the duravent gas vent chart. It goes by pitch, not hight.

Refer to Table 1 to determine the height above the roof the vent cap must terminate. A listed Dura-Vent top must be used to terminate the vent. It is locked to the top section of pipe, and gives protection against the entrance of rain, snow, debris, and birds. The vent cap should terminate 2 feet higher than an adjacent building or wall, if it is within 8 feet of the obstruction (3- through 12-inch diameter), or within 10 feet for a 14- through 24-inch diameter.

TABLE 1
ROOF PITCH MINIMUM HEIGHT *
FLAT TO 7/12 1.0
OVER 7/12 TO 8/12 1.5
OVER 8/12 TO 9/12 2.0
OVER 9/12 TO 10/12 2.5
OVER 10/12 TO 11/12 3.25
OVER 11/12 TO 12/12 4.0
OVER 12/12 TO 14/12 5.0
OVER 14/12 TO 16/12 6.0
OVER 16/12 TO 18/12 7.0
OVER 18/12 TO 20/12 7.5
OVER 20/12 TO 21/12 8.0

Thanks guys, I kept telling the guy it was a pellet stove not a log stove. he was all worried about the wall and floor clearances also. i guess i should of done the midnight install job. Quick

did he refer to the manual? or to the vent pipe manual? 10-3-2 is for naturally drafted units , pellet stoves are mechanically drafted and should nt fall under the same standards. now if local code supercedes you will have to add supports for much more than 2 ft after penetration as that 4 " pipe is so narrow it'll need support if any pipe joint is exposed above the roof penetration. if you can use long sections the less connected joints you have through the ceiling/attic , the stronger it will be

Thanks Mike, I am going to show him the Dura-vent info on monday. Quick

My last name is Quickel and everyone calls me Quick. I 'm new and didn't figure out how to put all this stuff on my profile yet. Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.